"U" Got Questions.....I've Got "ALL" The Answers Now...

Norman Hitt

.......at least that appears to be so, since I found an old Book today.:rolleyes: :D

I was looking through a still packed box of "Stuff" we brought home from my parent's house after Mom died, and I ran across an old book of Dad's. It is in excellent shape and is titled, "THE ATKINS SAW BOOK for Home Craftsmen. It says on the front Cover, "Tells How To.....Start a Home Shop, Select the Correct Saws & Tools, CUT and FIT the 24 Most-Used WOOD JOINTS, Build a Work Bench, Tool Box, etc. Suggests 200 Things to Make. It is a remarkable little book that has only 32 pages but is very clear and to the point including pictures and drawings. It even has two pages dedicated to Sharpening Saws.

The first Edition was 1-- 9-30, Second edition was 1-- 10-30, Third edition was 2-- 12-30, Fourth Edition was 2-- 2-31, so I guess there was a lot going on, (or a lot of mistakes in the first three editions) about that time. The Price ...........(printed on the front cover) 10c per copy, and there is even a letter Stapled in the center of the book on Co. Letterhead of the E.C. Atkins and Company, Sheffield Saw Works, Silver Steel Saws, 402 S. Illinois Street, Indianapolis, Ind. U.S.A., signed by a Mr. Gladding, Dir. of Sls.

Toward the back, it lists, (with pictures), all the saws, blades, scrapers, sharpening vises and equipment and other tools they manufactured and sold.

I thought it was quite amusing that about a year or so ago, Wood Mag, IIRC, featured an article and plans to build a fold down workbench, well, that wasn't original folks, 'cause it's right here in the "Atkins Saw Book".:thumb: :D

Gosh, Mom stuck things in the most weird places,:huh: :doh: I guess I'll have to go through every box one of these days if I want to find some of the other things I remember Dad had.

Sooooooo.....if any of you have Questions now, jest Holler, 'cause I'm sure the answer is rite cher in this 'lil ole book.:D

PS: The first page contains a quote of President Eliot of Harvard that should be read to Every School Board Member and Educator that wants to close the WoodWorking courses in schools.

Ok, don't keep us in suspense! What's the quote?

Glad you asked, Matt. Although it is a little long, I think I'll just do the first page/chapt 1, (which includes the quote), as it really describes most of us in many ways in our love of woodworking.

Chapter 1
THE HOME WORKSHOP
Hobby and Educator!

Every man and boy should have a hobby--something that will give relaxation from the daily grind of office, shop or school. The ideal hobby is one which not only provides mental and physical play, but sharpens the senses and trains the hands. For, the late President Eliot of Harvard said these are just as essential to a well-rounded education, as cultivation of the mind.

No hobby meets all these requirements better than home-crafting--whether it means working with a simple tool kit and bench in a corner of the garage, or using an entire room in the basement, completely fitted up with an elaborate set of tools and machines. Large or small, a workshop will pay the home-crafter regular dividends in fun and satisfaction, as well as in steadier nerves and better health, to say nothing of the value and utility of the projects constructed.

In America today, home-crafting admits no limitations of class or locality, age or sex. Workshops are found in all types of homes--from the prairie farm up to the suburban estate. And in the ranks of home-crafters are those from all stations of life--from the humble mechanic to the wealthy business or professional man. Home-crafting appeals to all ages--fathers find the workshop a new center of genuine comradship with their sons; girls and women enter into the spirit of this most fascinating passtime.

No longer is skill with tools considered a sign of mediocrity, as in past generations; in fact, many a lawyer has been more elated over the completion of a difficult task in his home shop than over his victory in a knotty legal case in court.

Many people who have taken up home-crafting just as a hobby, have found their new skill with tools a stepping stone to a very successful business enterprise, that of making and selling articles of everyday utility. Others have developed their ability to build things into a sideline business which brings a most welcome addition to the family income.

Whether you are considering home-crafting as a source of pleasure or profit, lose no time in finding the best spot in your home for the shop, and begin to experience the thrills of genuine satisfaction which come to every one who has the creative and constructive instinct to "make things" with his own hands.
(end of first chapt.)
Quoted from; "Atkins Sawbook for Home Craftsmen", Fourth Edition 2--2-31

It does look like the Ladies and Girls have moved considerably foreward in woodworking/home-crafting since this book was written, wouldn't you say?;) :D

I hope I haven't violated the copyright laws since it was first copyrighted in 1930, if so, Mods you can remove it, I just thought it was too good to not pass on, since I doubt if copies are available today.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent quote, Norm. You're right -- it really does describe most of us. Funny how some things never change.

I'm pretty sure we're cool on any copyright issues. ;)

There used to be (maybe still is) a small company that sold reprints of old books for various skills like woodworking, machining, etc. Wonder 2X: Is he still around? And, if yes, does he have those books?

There used to be (maybe still is) a small company that sold reprints of old books for various skills like woodworking, machining, etc. Wonder 2X: Is he still around? And, if yes, does he have those books?

Frank, I do remember a place that used to do that, but I can't remember the name of it, so I don't know if it is the same one or not, but I don't remember seeing any ads for it in a long time.

I love old books. One of the greatest things my grandfather ever gave me was:

His old woodworking tools
His old books

Since both him and I are woodworkers, and railroad machinists, I have found his books to be perfect for my hobby and career. In fact even in this modern age of machining with CNC machines, thanks in part to his old books, I have carved out a niche market for myself at work by being a proficient old machine tool machinist. The thing is it works because CNC machines excel at making repetitive cuts, but with custom boat building, we often only machine one time parts. The manual machines are great at that.

Well the short answer here is that while my Grandfather has long since died (2000), his books are still around and I am still learning from them.