Reorg finished - time to get to work

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
My shop reorg that I have been chronicling in the thread "Tools in the middle" is about as done as it's likely to get for now. Just a few minor organizational items and one 110v outlet still to go - and the DC for the chop saw.:(

As promised, I'm posting some before and after shots. It's really hard to believe that, with the exception of the wood storage rack, there is the same amount of 'stuff' in the shop as there has always been. It's amazing what a little reorganization can do!:eek::D

So, without further adieu,

Here's the east wall, before and after. This is where the troublesome fridge stood. The one speed bump in some of my original plans. Now the east wall holds all of my cabinets, the chop saw, small DP and the compressor (under the chop saw).
BeforeEast before (800 x 532).jpg
AfterEast after 2.jpgEast after 1.jpg

Here's the west wall, or door:rofl:. This was totally blocked by my wood storage rack. It was big, heavy, hard to find things in, and it blocked access and light into the shop.
BeforeWest before.jpgWest before 2.jpg
AfterWest After 1.jpgWest after 2.jpg

Part two

The north wall used to have all the cabinets, but it squeezed the shop space into too narrow an area for me to move things around.
Before North before (800 x 532).jpg
After North After 1.jpgLumber storage.jpg

Finally, the south wall. Still home to the laundry, but now it also holds the fridge, tool box, and DP - along with my new clamp rack.
Before South before (800 x 532).jpg
After South After 1.jpgSouth after 2.jpg

And, after that - a view never seen before because the wood rack blocked my view!
View from outside.jpgView from out 2.jpg

Wow! a big difference. Really looks organized now.

Is that a shoe stuck to the side of the sander?
You have a sharp eye! Yes it is. It is what was - way back when I was in HS - called a 'desert boot'. A rather derogatory name for a suede boot with a crepe sole. I use the sole to clean my sanding belt and disk.

Really came out good Rennie :thumb:.You really thought the layout thru and came out with a good result. Great workable space.

Tom
Thanks Tom!

Rennie,

Looks like a big improvement to my eye. I am sure you are happy to have it rearranged before your big project. Question is how long before you build up new "muscle memory" of where things are located now. I know that it always takes me awhile when I relocate things in the shop. For a while I keep turning to the wrong wall or area to retrieve something before realizing that I have moved everything.

Your shop looks great Rennie. I see some ideas I can put to use in my own mess.
I wondered where all the lumber went until I saw the last pics.
Glad to see you were able to keep the fridge as well - it's possible departure seemed to cause some anxiety for some Family members :D

Enjoy your new-found space.
Peter

Rennie,

Looks like a big improvement to my eye. I am sure you are happy to have it rearranged before your big project. Question is how long before you build up new "muscle memory" of where things are located now. I know that it always takes me awhile when I relocate things in the shop. For a while I keep turning to the wrong wall or area to retrieve something before realizing that I have moved everything.
Bill, that is indeed happening!:rofl::rofl:
I really have to think about where things are and where they go. I'm guessing it will take months before it becomes second nature.

nice job!

and i agree with bill that your rearraging willtake abit to get used to,, now you can start your new commision with some confidence that you are organized sufficiently to look professional:D that old shoe makes me think you might have some dutch ancestory:):thumb:

and i agree with bill that your rearraging willtake abit to get used to,, now you can start your new commision with some confidence that you are organized sufficiently to look professional:D that old shoe makes me think you might have some dutch ancestory:):thumb:
Dutch, grandmother on father's side.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your shop looks great Rennie. I see some ideas I can put to use in my own mess.
I wondered where all the lumber went until I saw the last pics.
Glad to see you were able to keep the fridge as well - it's possible departure seemed to cause some anxiety for some Family members :D

Enjoy your new-found space.
Peter
Peter - feel free to use whatever you want! Most of its plagiarized anyway.:rofl::rofl: BTW - you aren't the only one glad we kept the fridge!:D