Irwin SpeedBor bits

Ned Bulken

I'm not normally a fan of spade bits. But I needed just one bit that would allow me to drill the holes for the pipe clamps in my new bench project.

I stopped at my local hardware/lumber shop and found they had sets similar to these:
attachment.php

for a bunch more than what I wanted to pay. They also had a single bit which was just the right size. I have to say I was impressed with the bit's peformance, and i'll likely save up for a set of these at a future date.

They've got a groove which greatly aids chip clearing from the hole, and man does it do a super job. it looked like a hurricane was in place at my drill press!
tornado.jpg

the hole itself was superb, I'd got a cheapo set of forstner bits, but this spade bit did a better job than they do at clean cutting. Even when I punched through the boards it cleanly cut the plug out, leaving little or no trace. I flipped the first of 4 through cuts, but forgot on the second... and was amazed that I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Actually I could... the one I didn't flilp came out cleaner than the one I did!

cleab.jpg

in that shot the hole on the left was done with the forstner bit, the one on the right with the Irwin.

Attachments

• 341008_lg.jpg
    341008_lg.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 62
Now don't blame the forstner, it looks like either the center spur didn't have anything to grab onto or it is a new type of oval forstner :rofl:.

Thanks for the review on those bits. Looks like they do a rela nice job.

Those bits do work great Ned, in softwood, they burn up fairly fast in hardwood.

I've used the spade bits a LOT running wiring in houses through studs, they certainly do work just like you said. They are hard to find here in Japan, I've seen them, but they are all in these weird "Inch" sizes :huh: :dunno:

Sure makes a clean hole Ned, What a set cost?
at my local hardware store it was about $35. I'm more than willing to support them on most things, but that was too steep for my current budget. $6 for one was too, but it did the job, and it wasn't one included in the set at 1 1/8".

Now don't blame the forstner, it looks like either the center spur didn't have anything to grab onto or it is a new type of oval forstner :rofl:.

Thanks for the review on those bits. Looks like they do a rela nice job.
ah, yeah... well... it's not fine woodworking it's a rough and tumble bench, kinda like my shop. :D

Those bits do work great Ned, in softwood, they burn up fairly fast in hardwood.

I've used the spade bits a LOT running wiring in houses through studs, they certainly do work just like you said. They are hard to find here in Japan, I've seen them, but they are all in these weird "Inch" sizes :huh: :dunno:
Duly noted on the hardwood. Honestly, I think I'll pick up a set anyway, never know when I'll be running wiring one of these days... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Spade bits definitely have a place in the shop. I use spades quite frequently. Glad it worked out for you.

thanks Frank, I knew it would punch the hole, but I expected much more ragged results than what I got.

Good find Ned. I'm somewhat surprised they were that much more expensive. It looks like they could be made with a process similar to regular spade bits. Maybe a different material is the cost driver.

I would expect the Speedbor MAX bits to cost more, but these?:dunno:

I picked up a set of Vermont American Woodeater bits when I was building the garage. Saved my arms! I still toasted my first drill motor (1/2" Craftsman:D) on that job, but the bits went through everything like butter!

Attachments

• vermont american woodeater bits.jpg
    vermont american woodeater bits.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 6