updated computer

Frank Fusco

My computer froze up on me a few days ago. It had been getting stubborn and I got many warnings that everything was outdated. I was running Windows Vista and IE. Figured it needed dumping and replacement or maybe a fixit. Took to a locak 'puter repair shop and they updated to Win. 10. Shop owner told me it was a good computer and should last me several more years. Took it home and found :eek: still frozen.:( No cursor arrow, nothing. Took back to shop and found a plug of dust in the optical pick-up of the mouse.:eek: Removed that and now it works. Oh, well. Still getting acquainted with Win. 10 but the mail program is the worst design possible. I do not like. And, I think all my contacts are lost.:(:( Hope not. Do not know how to recover and I depend heavily on them. Enneybody know where I might find them?

Wish I could help you on that. I tried Win10, hated it, dumped it and went back to 7. I'm sure someone can tell you where to recover your files from, but if they did a complete format and reload, they might be lost forever. I know you don't want to hear this now, but that is why I tell all of my family and friends to constantly back files up on dvd or some other fashion, but definitely back them up. Prevents all kinds of problems. Good luck!

I don't use windows mail but I believe you can set up gmail, Hotmail, windows live mail, exchange (I have setup this for someone) etc in the mail program. Which one did you have?

I did find couple of sites with similar issues. See if their issue is the same as yours:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-people/contacts-missing-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/95ddcbed-64c0-4265-8c8e-27bf26181163?auth=1

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/227394-windows-live-mail-contacts-missing-after-update.html

I don't use windows mail but I believe you can set up gmail, Hotmail, windows live mail, exchange (I have setup this for someone) etc in the mail program. Which one did you have?

I did find couple of sites with similar issues. See if their issue is the same as yours:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-people/contacts-missing-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/95ddcbed-64c0-4265-8c8e-27bf26181163?auth=1

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/227394-windows-live-mail-contacts-missing-after-update.html

I had Windows Mail, it is now gone. Yes, I will have to use an alternate program now but that means notifying about 300 people of the change. And, I can't do that without their addresses. Oddly, I am getting e-mails sent to my old address. More oddly, the mail program I now have does not have a feature where I can keep addresses of received mail senders. I am upset.:pullhair:

Frank, I just setup my Hotmail account within the windows mail program to see where it stores the contacts. It turns out that the contacts are actually stored in the "people" app which is a separate app in windows 10. While composing a new email, start typing the first few letters of an email and windows mail will fetch the possible contacts from the People app and you will be able to pick the one that you want.

More info:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Where-are-my-contacts-in-Mail-for-Windows-10-e708d583-31c2-4eca-a188-8e69bad63bb3

Last edited:
Microsoft has done such a poor job migrating mail between various versions of Windows (a different flavor of mail for each version of Windows) that I gave up a while back, and now use Mozilla Thunderbird. Mozilla is best known for it's Firefox browser, but I find the Thunderbird mail program excellent as well, the price is right (free) and the migration from various Microsoft attempts to get mail right is seamless.

Just like Charlie, I've had good luck with Thunderbird. It may find and recover some of your mail/contacts upon install. I actually stopped using a local mail client when I switched to my new laptop and only use gmail. It will let you connect in other email accounts to get all your mail in one spot. Works well since my phone and tablet both use gmail too. It also keeps all my contacts backed up and in sync between all devices.

I have been using Firefox and Thunderbird without a hitch. Fine running software that is also totally free. They do accept donations if you feel like it. I have not used a Microsoft email program since they did away with Outlook Express, which I thought was decent. Better than the Outlook that came with Office. OE let you use multiple identities without any hassle as well. Hope all works out for you.

I finally found my addresses. They are stored in the computer. That is a relief but accessing them could be a problem. They are in Libria as a spread sheet. I can't find a tool to access or move them. Good to know they aren't lost but that is as far as it goes. I'll have to spend some time studying this issue. Wadda hassle.:pullhair:

Many email programs can import addresses from a CSV (Comma-Separated Values) file, and most spreadsheet programs support CSV as a "Save As" format.

Worth a shot?