Chip Carving

If you use the Search link and do a Google on "chip carving", you'll get a lot of hits here at FWW. Donald does work like this and there are others.

Hi Gary.

Welcome to the family!

I'm afraid that Larry is not completely right in this case, although I do carving, I've never done any chip carving at all, but take for granted that there are others here that can help you on that, and for any other thing you can count on me as well.

I don't know what you've been drinkin today Toni but this morning when I went to work you was a youg dude.... Now you look like the rest of us old guys!!!!:D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm glad somebody else saw the same thing I did. I went and cleaned my glasses to make sure I was seeing right and then I checked the calender to make sure I didn't fall asleep for 20 Years:rofl:.

I don't know what you've been drinkin today Toni but this morning when I went to work you was a youg dude.... Now you look like the rest of us old guys!!!!:D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ouch...I thought you just got a hair cut Toni. ;)

I'm glad somebody else saw the same thing I did. I went and cleaned my glasses to make sure I was seeing right and then I checked the calender to make sure I didn't fall asleep for 20 Years:rofl:.

Yeah, I think that that beverage that Dr. Hyde gave me some time ago, has lost its effect and now I'm back to the real me, for sometime I felt like Dorian Gray but every morning my bathroom mirror was telling me the opposite.:(:(

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now seriously, isn't that funny how after a time seeing someone's avatar, we start to believe that that person looks actually as the avatar? Specially if we do not know him/her?

well toni ,it wasnt the first time i was wrong today. so what kind of carving is yours if its not chip carving, relief carving???

Basically yes, relief carving and carving in the round or 3D carving as someone also say.

As far as I know chip carving is made basically using a sharp knife and obtaining geometrical ornaments by incising a flat board.
The link that Glenn posted: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26040&d=1227888396 is a very god example of chip carving.

It is a quite difficult technique because you have to control the depth, angle and extents of your cut if you want to get right. Those who have experience in it are quite fast at making things and the contrasts obtained by playing light and shadow are quite striking.

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum. I was wondering if there are any chip carvers out there. I am interested in learning more about this.

Most of us are too old, figety and shaky to do chip carving. :rofl:

Actually, we have some good carvers here and, I'll bet, several who would be excellent chip carvers if they tried it.
As for the patience bit, it just ain't my thang.