A Christmas Presnt of a differant kind

Don Baer

Staff member
AS most of you know by now I am doing a commision for a new church being built nearby. The commision is for the furniture for the Santuary of a catholic church and if you care to see what I am doing you can get a prerview in this thread. I noticed that they had a processional cross that was make shift. Someone had taken a cross and screwed a board on it and made a base that wasn't any better. My wife and I decided to make a gift of a new one. I gave my wife the task of obtaining a corpus ( the figure on the cross). She spent over a month and finaly ordered the one I used from. Italy. For toni's sake this one is 12" high and cost over $300.) It's made of Alpine maple, The cross and base are made of maple and cherry. cross.jpg. I had a self imposed goal to give them the new cross for Christmas. They ise the cross at the begining and end of services as the celebrant enter s and leaves the church.
base.jpgThe legs are fitted into the holder with dovetails.
The finish is (your guessed it Larry) BLO and wipe on poly.
I tried to get a close up on the corpus but the camera didn't co-operate. I'll post one as soon as I can get it out of my wives camara.

Last edited:
Don, that is just beautiful. I am in awe and even though we haven't met yet in person, I am very proud of you and the work you are doing and the thought process you are putting into it. As a high school kid, I was an acolyte in our Lutheran church and because I was strong enough to hold our cross high, I got to lead in and out of many services for a couple of years. Our cross was gold in color and probably 3/4" x 3/4" square tubing. It was top heavy to say the least. Don, good job doesn't come close, I am honored to see your work and the love going into it.

Jonathan'
This one is 1x2 Maple and six feet high. Regardless of our religious believes it is always greatifying to produce a piece that is heart felt. It is a greater previlige to be able to do something that will enhance the whorship of the folks who ar there to express their beliefs. I am privildged to be able to use my humble talents to be a part of the process of building this house of worship.

Last edited:
Nice work and great gesture Don. Do they know its on its way?

By the way i think your camera has the same problem my son has. Check to see if you have finger smudges over the lens. Something on the front has to be blurring all your pictures.

Nice gesture Don, I'm sure they'll appreciate it a lot.

As per the price, I'll found out what they charge here for a similar image.

Here there are some semi industrial image carving shops, that they use replicators to make production runs, once the image is done, it is finished and painted by hand. That speeds up the process and lowers the price but it is still a serial made piece after all.