New Toy

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Not the shop kind, though. Our faithful John Deere riding mower gave up Friday. Some checking on parts cost showed no less than $500 for repairs, which probably means somewhat more. LOML quickly told me to look for a good ZTR (she wanted me to get a ZTR before but I cheaped out on the JD). We did some online research, then drove to Lowe's and looked at their offerings. After that, we drove farther into town to Hoyt's, a locally-owned shop. We looked at Snapper, Ferris and Skag and settled on the Snapper 550Z with 61" deck. I signed the papers and 30 minutes later it was delivered to our home. Needless to say, I got distracted from any wood shop time this weekend! While the operation of one of these critters is pretty straight-forward, I felt like a dummy until I finally started to get a better feel for how much to push or pull on the control arms!

550Z.jpg

Nice! I cheaped out & bought a used 50" cub cadet ZTR to see if I'd like it. I don't know why I ever bought a tractor mower... lol

Now I'm looking at raptors and hoping this one lasts until I save up enough $$...

Nice, you'll love how much time it saves you. May need to mulch around the trees if you don't have them done already, not found one yet that the tires aren't a little hard on the grass turning around them.

I like the idea of the 60" deck... mine is only a 42" tractor and I'm pretty sure it's out of balance now, but I can't use the ZTR on my yard... the back yard is way too steep, by the time I get to the far back side of the yard, I'm at an elevation that's higher than the house.... and I have another hill behind the house between the house and shop that about a 15 or 20% grade, plus the side yard drops off about the same degree into a ditch that I couldn't mow with the ZTR... I'm relatively comfortable mowing these with the riding tractor, even if I do hold my breath about half the time... I never need to ride a roller coaster as just mowing the yard is enough thrill riding for me.

... I can't use the ZTR on my yard... the back yard is way too steep ...

Our one acre lot is relatively flat - a gradual slope of a couple of feet over a 250' run from street to back line, then another 2-3' to the far corner that's about 400'. My only issue is dodging a bunch of pine trees!