Ok Stu, heres my shop

Nice setup Bryan.

How loud is that beast, especially when used with another machine like your planer?
I have a byrd head in the planer so it's quiet to begin with. Gorilla is about the same as the old Griz for noise.
Suction is great! I finished all the piping and did a test run. :thumb::thumb:
IMG_4066.JPG line to lathe

IMG_4065.JPG RAS & stroke sander

IMG_4067.JPGShould have picked up this crimping tool at the start of the job.

Last edited:
few more pics of piping. Had lots of parts and pipes left over. Shop the system came out of was a single garage, had pipes running everywhere.
IMG_4075.JPG planer and TS DC. TS is split to two 4" lines, Laguna has an under the table blade shroud, and to the over arm guard. Great suction at both locations now.:thumb:

IMG_4071.JPGhoses to fit 25" drum sander

IMG_4077.JPGstep ladder view:)

Man, you're nicely set up Bryan. :thumb:
DC seems to be the last item you spend $$ on. Been trying to improve the 23 yr old Grizzly 4 bag the last few years ( I bought it back in the late 80's used). I was going to buy 2 canister filters at $565 w taxes, to try and improve air flow. Then I found the 3 hp super Gorilla for sale and once the Grizzly was sold, my cost was $850:thumb::thumb:.
I did spend $90 :eek:on some hvac Y's, a 90 elbow, 6" to 4" reducer and aluminum tape at HD. Can't imagine what all the pipe and gates would cost, that the guy gave me!
Extremely happy with the performance :thumb:, suction is way up over the old system.

Between the DC and the machinist's vise, I'd say that's a pretty good use for the lathe...:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Man, that shop is looking good, Bryan! I'm envious.

I found a used Mini Max 20" BS, 2008 model only a 1/2 hr from me, only been used a few hours, looks almost new, and hardly a mark on it :thumb:. My old BS only resaws 10" , a Mini Max S45. This one has a bit more, 20" Re-saw and 4.8 hp! Swmbo said OK to the purchase!:thumb:,, :D
IMG_5258.JPG

Last edited:
Wow Brian you gonna need more space soon. Congrats on the new saw.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Yes, could use more room. Glad it has a mobility kit, then I can pull , push it if I need more room. Beast is heavy, 765 pounds, but with the wheels on the back, steel pads on front, not too hard to slide it around on the concrete floor to make room for projects.

Last edited:
I've never used a stroke sander (never even seen one in person). I guess it's biggest adavantage would be
the size of things it can handle. How much do you use it, and what are it's pros and cons?

Great shop BTW. Got a spare room?

Thanks..

Gary

I've never used a stroke sander (never even seen one in person). I guess it's biggest adavantage would be
the size of things it can handle. How much do you use it, and what are it's pros and cons?

Great shop BTW. Got a spare room?

Thanks..

Gary
Thanks!!!!
Stroke doesn't get a lot of use now that I have a 25" drum sander. I bought the Mini Max L55 over 20 yrs ago, as a replacement for a shop made 4 ft stroke sander. On large surfaces, does a great job. I keep an 80 grit belt on the sander. Because of the cantilever design, items longer than the 8' table can be sanded. It can be folded up to 24" from the wall if I need to bring the truck in for repairs (table folds down) . This design of a folding stroke sander is no longer made. It does make an excellent workbench, and I can change the table height from 12" to 43" off the floor with the electric lift.

Stroke in use as a sander:) Recently ordered new 80 grit belts, so for $150 I got 6 cloth belts @ 5"x271". Still have a few 120 grit belts from my 2nd order in 1990 .:eek: I first tried paper belts, case of 9 -80 grit lasted a few yrs, but most met an early dimise, one catch and the belt would disintegrate.:( On the stroke, the sanding head rides on two arms. Doesn't take a lot of effort to push, pull and the sanding pad also can be moved left to right.Sanding the 3/4 oak top to the roll top desk, 36 x 62, took all of 10 minutes to sand smooth.
IMG_5506.JPGIMG_5508.JPGIMG_5509.JPGIMG_5510.JPG

Bryan that stroke sander seems to me is one heck of a useful machine. I could never picture how it worked until these pics.

Is this machine still being made today?

I am fascinated that you use 80 grit. Surely thats too rough after wood has been planed?

So if i understand correctly with the table height being adjustable one could put a entire say coffee table under the belt to do final sanding?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Is this machine still being made today? ***Not the cantilever style. I have seen a few come up for sale , e bay, CL , Kijiji over the years, but 3 phase.

I am fascinated that you use 80 grit. Surely thats too rough after wood has been planed?***Not really, oak looks ok, but I final sanded, I used the ROS to 150 grit

So if i understand correctly with the table height being adjustable one could put a entire say coffee table under the belt to do final sanding? ***sure, it has an approx 30" working height under the belt or more if supported from the floor with the table flipped down.

Moving 70 miles west of Woodstock. I have been packing up small items and dismantle the DC and pipes. New garage is 3 ft shorter in length. Sold the Unisaw, have not used it much since buying the Laguna 12" 10 years ago.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8162.jpg
    1-IMG_8162.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1-IMG_8161.jpg
    1-IMG_8161.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1-IMG_8160.JPG
    1-IMG_8160.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 51
Sort of got tools placed. 19x19 sure isn't big enough for my stash! I'm waiting on the furnace to be installed so I can work in the garage. Now to be this Thursday!!! Just above freezing is no fun at all to work in! Mild weather days of 50 F , I can work out there! I had to move the old garage cupboards to the right to get the stroke sander/workbench up against the wall. The sanders power cord needs clearance. And I hung up 4 plug in 2 tube fluorescent lights into the garage door opener ceiling .

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8273.jpg
    1-IMG_8273.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 33
  • 1-IMG_8266.jpg
    1-IMG_8266.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1-IMG_8262.jpg
    1-IMG_8262.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1-IMG_8271.jpg
    1-IMG_8271.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Slowly getting the shop set up. Mr Heater 50k btu installed last March. Insulated ceiling to R50 with do it yourself cellulose. Got the DC mounted to the wall and some power to DC and to saws, planer. Had to cut a hole in ceiling to get the heavy 3 hp motor up there! Pipe spanning truss made it easy, just slide the hoist on the pipe and lower into place.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8587.jpg
    1-IMG_8587.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 1-IMG_8584.jpg
    1-IMG_8584.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 1-IMG_8583.jpg
    1-IMG_8583.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1-IMG_8581.jpg
    1-IMG_8581.jpg