A major reorganization of my woodworking shed is underway

Frank Pellow

Here is the floor plan as it has been for about the last four years:

Workshed Layout Mar 2008.jpg

That layout was somewhat cramped but OK until 2011 when I added stained glass
making to the types of work that I undertake in the shed. Now, that place is
away too messy and unorganized. This morning I decided to try a reorg of my
major machines to see if that will help. I'm not quite sure where things will
end up, but I have made a small start by moving the table saw most of the way to
it's new location (which will be about where the planer now sits and
perpendicular to that wall).
I will need to change some of the ductwork.

Here are a few photos taken about an hour ago.

Workshed reorg 01 -small.JPG Workshed reorg 02 -small.JPG Workshed reorg 03 -small.JPG

If things don't work out, I will replace my jointer and planer with a combo
machine. I did attempt to do that last year but, if I need to
do so, I will make a more serious attempt.

Last edited:
If things don't work out, I will replace my jointer and planer with a combo
machine.

I keep going back and forth on that solution myself. If I could just find the right price 16" combo I would do it. I am not sure a 12" would be enough planer width. I look forward to what you work out. I am in the process (a very slow process), of doing the same. I don't even have a tenth of the stuff you do, but I still feel the need to eliminate the clutter. Good luck Frank!

Looking your shop inspired me to re-arrange a little bit today in mine. All I did was basically swap the location of the tablesaw and bench, but what a difference in made in usability. My saw used to be close to the wall, so I'd have to move it anyway for long pieces. Just so happened I was making some custom maple moulding today and needed the extra length.

Thanks for the inspiration!

I have now moved all the machines, etc. into their new locations. Here is the revised layout plan:

Shop Layout 2012 Jan.jpg

Its still more crowded than I would like, but I do have better access to everything. The machine that is really hard to place is the jointer. It interfers with every "perfect" layout that I can think of.

Now, all I need to do is to tidy up the place. I expect that will take at least 10 hours.

Wow Frank Flat top city. How many benches do you have permanently set up? When I get back into a shop which I hope will be bigger than my last shop. "Your shop size would be a palace" I'll have 1 bench, 1 assembly table, 1 out-feed table for the table saw [ & a wall mounted spring loaded pile-it bench close to the entry door when filled to a predetermined limit it will fold down dumping everything on the floor to be picked up & put away 25 lb limit ] the crap doesn't pile to high this way you see & it falls in the doorway so it has to be picked up. The assembly table will be a light duty torsion box on top of notched plywood support pieces that slip together like this + that come apart & everything hangs on the wall when not in use. I know you must have some reason for the DC to be where is. I would have put it in the far back corner opposite the wood stove if there is enough room. I've always found that having the band-saw within a few steps of the bench to be very handy. Also my preference is to have the table-saw, planer & jointer all running in the same direction for very good reasons.You have 154 sq. ft. more shop space than I had in my old shop & less tools & less room to turn around, This proves that the more space we have the less room we'll have to actually work in because of what we try to pack into the area. How high are your ceilings? A shelf around the perimeter 24" deep & 1' or more down from the ceiling will store a lot of stuff .

Last edited:
Wow Frank Flat top city. How many benches do you have permanently set up?
Four permanent benches and three more temporary ones. I guess that's a lot, but I always seem to have them filled.

Bart Leetch said:
When I get back into a shop which I hope will be bigger than my last shop. "Your shop size would be a palace" I'll have 1 bench, 1 assembly table, 1 out-feed table for the table saw [ & a wall mounted spring loaded pile-it bench close to the entry door when filled to a predetermined limit it will fold down dumping everything on the floor to be picked up & put away 25 lb limit ] the crap doesn't pile to high this way you see & it falls in the doorway so it has to be picked up. The assembly table will be a light duty torsion box on top of notched plywood support pieces that slip together like this + that come apart & everything hangs on the wall when not in use.
It sounds like you will be making good use of your space.

Bart Leetch said:
I know you must have some reason for the DC to be where is. I would have put it in the far back corner opposite the wood stove if there is enough room.
That would be too long a run. I try to keep the machines as close to the DC as I can.

Bart Leetch said:
I've always found that having the band-saw within a few steps of the bench to be very handy. Also my preference is to have the table-saw, planer & jointer all running in the same direction for very good reasons.You have 154 sq. ft. more shop space than I had in my old shop & less tools & less room to turn around, This proves that the more space we have the less room we'll have to actually work in because of what we try to pack into the area.
Good advise!

Bart Leetch said:
How high are your ceilings? A shelf around the perimeter 24" deep & 1' or more down from the ceiling will store a lot of stuff .
The ceiling height varies because of the sloped roof. I do have shelves near the ceiling in several places.