Oil Stone Holders

Bill Satko

A couple of months ago I bought an Arkansas translucent honing stone. It was recommended over the water stones I normally use for sharpening profiled edges (carving tools and molding plane irons). I bought it from Dan’s and it came with a convenient box. It should, it cost enough.

IMG_0678.jpg

Along with the translucent, I also bought two Norton India stones (medium and fine). They were very cheap and did not come with a convenient box.
So, I decided to make two boxes. As you can see they turned out pretty well. The only problem is that convenient box that the translucent came in is now looking shabby. I better start working on another box.

IMG_0856.jpg

Before finishing

IMG_0852.jpgIMG_0851.jpg

After finishing and with the translucent stone.

IMG_0858.jpgIMG_0859.jpgIMG_0860.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

All the work was done by hand tools except for the planer for initial thickness and the table saw for ripping to width.

IMG_0838.jpgIMG_0847.jpg

Well done, looks great!

Do you just store them in these boxes, or do the bottom part of the box act as a stone holder when you use them to sharpen?

Cheers!

this could be the never ending stone holder story Bill, what if after making the box holder for the arkansas one, the india ones look shabby as well?;)

A warning if I may, be very careful when removing the arkansas one from its casing, usually they are glued there pretty well so you may risk breaking it depending on how you do it.

Those boxes look and are great! Did you oil them?

Well done, looks great!

Do you just store them in these boxes, or do the bottom part of the box act as a stone holder when you use them to sharpen?

Cheers!

Thanks Stu!

Yes the bottom works as a holder while I sharpen. I am thinking of installing felt on the interior bottom and a non skid substance on the exterior bottom. I bought the felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this could be the never ending stone holder story Bill, what if after making the box holder for the arkansas one, the india ones look shabby as well?;)

A warning if I may, be very careful when removing the arkansas one from its casing, usually they are glued there pretty well so you may risk breaking it depending on how you do it.

Those boxes look and are great! Did you oil them?

So true Toni. The Arkansas is not glued down in mine.

After staining I used an oil finish.
b50896e31ef32a84362900e4f7bbe947.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk