Another spoon

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Practice makes progress. This one has been "done" for quite a while but I finally got around to putting some oil on it and giving it a polish over the last couple of days.

Made from a scrap of something from the scrap pile. I think it might be some sort of mahogany like substance, it carved pretty nice and takes a decent polish. There are a couple of small cracks in the end of the bowl that weren't visible until I started finish sanding it :)doh:)

The knots are from bowl -> handle:
  1. Mathew Walker knot (ashely #681)
  2. Three strand twist over a core (presumably.. the thickness implies a core anyway :D)
  3. footrope knot (ashely #696)
  4. Four strand cage and two free floating balls (dreams of doing a monkeys fist on these were suppressed :eek:).
  5. double footrope knot (ashely #697)

Astute observers will note that the cage is four strands while the twist and knots are all three strand :rolleyes: I had a theory on how to make a three strand spiral cage but decided to punt on this rendition as I was already well into the deep end.

IMG_1511.JPG

Bottom
IMG_1516.JPG

My hand for scale.
IMG_1517.JPG

Detail front and back of the Mathew Walker knot (ashely #681)
IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1515.JPG

Detail front of the handle knots. The small knot is a "footrope knot" (ashely #696) and the large knot is a "double footrope knot" (ashely #697) which is a close kissing cousin of the more common "manrope knot" (crown and then wall vs wall and then crown). The primary end difference is that its easier to do a single (nice for continuity) and the ends come out the top instead of being tucked into back in. The back looks about the same :D
IMG_1513.JPG

Thanks guys.

Just plan great work. Do you carve the rope?

Yep, this was all hand carved. The rope was done with wrap a piece of paper with two lines drawn on it and then cut along the lines (where the paper meets itself being the third line) to mark out the low spots trick. The waste was then just carved out/rounded over with a couple of chisels. It was somewhat harder to keep it even on a small piece like this than I'd anticipated so there are a few spots where the strands are larger or smaller than I'm 100% happy with but I was mostly able to blend them in.