are pictures only for members?

Frank Fusco

I posted links to my lathe progress report on my pen turning forums. One person said that the photos were not available to him because he is not a member of FW. Is that correct? Do we restrict non-members from seeing pictures?

Do we restrict non-members from seeing pictures?

Yep, that's what got ME to sign up. :D

But I think it only applies to photos that are uploaded to the FamilyWoodworking area using the Manage Attachments button (
attach.gif
). Non-members should be able to see photos that are hosted elsewhere.

Yep, that's what got ME to sign up. :D

But I think it only applies to photos that are uploaded to the FamilyWoodworking area using the Manage Attachments button (
attach.gif
). Non-members should be able to see photos that are hosted elsewhere.
That is correct, sir. (Said in my best Ed McMahon voice.)

We limit viewing of pictures that are uploaded (attached) to this site to members only because otherwise, there would be the potential for bandwidth problems. For example, if Frank's lathe pics were linked to from the pen turning forum, and a few guys there linked to them from a few other sites, and others pass the links along to yet other sites, potentially we could soon have thousands of people trying to view the pics, and our servers would be overwhelmed with the traffic.

As Kerry said, if the pictures are saved on another server (using the Insert Image
Image%20Icon.jpg
button) instead of being attached here, then non-members can still see them if they are visit here.