Monkey Ward Drill Press

Just bought this today
MWDP.jpg

Well, not this one. The one I bought has some surface rust on the table and is missing the 3-prong lever to lower and raise the bit/chuck.

What little I've been able to find out about it is that it is a combo machine that can be a shaper/router. It is variable speed with the dial right on the front, the entire head rotates instead of the table tilting. Was made by ToolKraft.

Anyone have one or know much about them? I paid $95 for it, so not sure it was a good deal or not, but as long as the motor continues to run, I think it was worth it.

Thanks,

Frank

I'm not very familiar with this make or model of drill press. I would be interested in seeing what kind of speeds it has for routing and shaping. I assume it must have a high speed gearbox in order to do that?

A few years a go, back before I had a ½ inch router, I wanted to make some raised panel doors. I had the bit set from a Christmas Present but no ½ inch router to drive them. So I chucked them up in my standard drill press, made a special table, and used a gazillion feather boards and made a decent set of doors.

I would not do it again. The relatively slow speed of my bit caused a lot of chatter, a slower-then-the-Donner-Party feed rate, and nail biting and worry the whole time the cutter was engaged in the wood. It did form the raised panel quite nicely though.

As I said, I would be curious as to how fast this machine can turn in the routing and shaping mode?

Nice score. At 21,000 rpm, it spins faster then my shop smith. With the addtion of a speed increaser I still would only hit 10,000 rpm. Go get ir running and see what it can handle.