Designated Driver

Hey Dan our legislature just put out the toughest drinking driving laws in the country.

New drinking-driving penalties under B.C.’s Motor Vehicle Act came into effect on Sept. 20 2010.

Police in B.C. can now issue an immediate roadside prohibition to an impaired driver with a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of .05 or higher. (The BAC is based on a breath sample into a roadside screening device.)

The vehicle the person is driving can also be immediately taken off the road and impounded for three to 30 days.

Costs related to these offences can add up to an estimated $600 to $4,060—even if it’s the first time a driver is caught.

Drew,
I drive a bus into Vancouver 3 times a week, I've seen the road side check points. They always set them on an overpass or bridge so the drivers can't turn away. very smart! I sure don't want drinking drivers on the road with me! :thumb:

I agree with Dan on this and BTW anyone with a CDL here in the states with a Blood Alchol. count of .04 is consider legally drunk. so that mean if you are a commercial driver don't even take a sip. Thats one reason why I reverted my DL back when I went off the road, so I could at least have a beer or a glass of wine when I went out to dinner.

Last edited:
Oh don't get me wrong It doesn't bother me in the slightest what ticks me off is the government now is re considering the enforcment of the laws as it is effecting people going out to the bar and having more than a drink or two. Which effects the tax collected by the government on the booze. No one is drinking no tax money collected. Guess that they didn't think people would take it so seriously. We went out to our local pub for dinner the other night and by 7 the place was dead. Just like someone turned on a switch.

The drinking regulations work out great for me.

I gave up drinking any alcohol about 10 years ago.

(I my early life when I was young and stupid I drank more than my share. Now I'm not so young any more.)

However, being a non-drinker, it amazing how much more popular I am since I can be the designated driver!!!!

Walt in CT

Hey Dan our legislature just put out the toughest drinking driving laws in the country.

New drinking-driving penalties under B.C.’s Motor Vehicle Act came into effect on Sept. 20 2010.

Police in B.C. can now issue an immediate roadside prohibition to an impaired driver with a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of .05 or higher. (The BAC is based on a breath sample into a roadside screening device.)

The vehicle the person is driving can also be immediately taken off the road and impounded for three to 30 days.

Costs related to these offences can add up to an estimated $600 to $4,060—even if it’s the first time a driver is caught.

Yeah, Glassman said the bar he went to to watch the hockey game was DEAD. He said that bar now has free transportation to and from your house. I don't drink so it doesn't bother me. I'm always the DD. I'd like to comment on the politics, but I'll refrain so I don't get censored by the moderators. :D :rofl: