Saw width for resawing?

Hi there.

What saw width is best for resawing, a wide blade or a very narrow one?
Does it depend on the hardness of the wood?

And last but not least, should I use a high speed or a lower one?

whadda ya` sawin` with toni?
if you`re using your bandsaw what`s high speed and what`s low?
really you can use either speed it`ll just depend how fast you feed the board and if the motor`s got enough torque to muscle through...
use the widest bodied blade your saw will support.

I run at the higher speed and use a 3/4" blade. I have had success with 1/2" blades as well but, I mostly do thicker resawing. That is, I do not make my own veneer. Sawing off a 1/4" piece of material is about the minimum I do to create stock.

Hi there.

What saw width is best for resawing, a wide blade or a very narrow one?

As far as I'm concerned the most important thing about resawing on the bandsaw is Practice, Practice and then some more Practice. I use a 12 inch Craftsman with a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch blade with no more than 3 or 4 teeth per inch and get good results. I've been doing it for a number of years. That's why I say Practice. The results are worth it, you can make your own boards instead of relying on 3/4 inch stock.

DKT

You will probably want to make a re-saw fence that can be clamped to the table with the angle of the fence to the blade adjusted for how your blade tracks. Feeding too fast will cause the blade to deflect more and you end up with wedge shaped boards. The speed that you re-saw the wood is dependent on the hardness and thickness of the wood. and the sharpness of the blade.

Many thanks for all the inputs and suggestions, guys. Now I'm more oriented and confident about resawing.:thumb::thumb:

I've got some 2 1/2" hard maple to resaw to make the side panels of my dresser and bookmatch them.

nothing like startun out with something easy and soft toni:),, take it slow and you will be fine. practice first if yu havnt done it before..

Thanks Larry.
It is not the first time I resaw but not a lot either.
I have resawn different woods about 8 or 10 times in my life (it is only two years since I got my bandsaw) with different results (always with the same blade) I was wondering if there was anything I was doing wrong, or how coul I improve it.

Toni,

Typically you want a fairly wide blade for resawing, with about 3-4 teeth per inch. As far as speed, it really only would effect your feed rate.

However there is one question. How big of a bandsaw do you have? 14in or something bigger? Many 14in bandsaw makers say that their saws can take up to a 3/4in blade. While that size blade may fit, most 14in saws can't tension a 3/4in blade enough to give you the best cut you should get from the blade.

Suffolk Machinery (makers of the Timberwolf line of blades) usually recomend a good 1/2in blade for resawing on most 14in bandsaws. This seems to be the most effective blade for the tension that you can get from this size saw.