Life Size Elk Target (Steel work)

For those interested, here's the life size elk that my friend cut on his plasma table (he has the same model as mine but a smaller plasma torch). He brought it over to my shop to use my TIG welder to stitch it together since it didn't all fit on a 5'x10' sheet. The elk is cut from 3/16 plate. I also cut the AR-500 3/8 steel for the vital target zone since his machine isn't quite big enough.

We cleaned the mill scale off with muriatic acid and used a copper patina and he's going to clear coat it at his house tomorrow. It was my dinner time when we got it loaded in his truck! It probably weighs about 260 pounds and stands 5' tall at the shoulder and from nose to tail is right at 10'. :D

20150730_194758.jpg

Holy rusted metal Batman!! That would have been fun today. Took a friend from the hospital to a really simple range today. Everything but the .308s came out. Steels are fun...no question if you hit it or not!

Fantastic! I heard that AR-500 was very pricey stuff. That's gonna be a sweet target. What distances do you guys shoot at?

I think his customer will really like it! The AR-500 plate cost just under 50 cents ....... per square inch. :eek: I think they're looking to set this up at around 300 yards. I haven't hunted in years, I much prefer eating the elk steaks my friends bring me to packing one of those 700# monsters out of the mountains!! :rofl:

Holy rusted metal Batman!! That would have been fun today. Took a friend from the hospital to a really simple range today. Everything but the .308s came out. Steels are fun...no question if you hit it or not!

That's much better than taking someone from the range to the hospital! :) I'm thinking about making some swinging arm targets to sell but with the cost of the AR steel I'll have to research what I can get out of them to make sure I can sell them for a profit! I like target shooting but ammo has been so expensive lately I haven't even gone. My wife wants me to set up a berm in the back yard (we have 5 accres) so we can just go out back and shoot. One of these days.... ;)