Box joints hard ones

Bill McQueen

Has anyone used this system by MLCS.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/fast_joint_system.html

I starting to make small boxes and I have done a lot of tweaking just to get plain old square box joints to have a perfect fit. I am skeptical about this system going to together easy.

They have a video I watched but when it came time to put the two side together, there was a small stop and then it showed the pieces together. I would like to have their set up even though it's a little pricey to make my boxes stand out, but I worried about it working.

if anyone has experience or can send me somewhere it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill

I've looked at those a bunch of times, but I've always suspected that it's a booger to get things to fit just right. Any deviation in the jig's angle as you pass the router bit will mess it up, and only a few thousandths of an inch difference between two router bits will mess it up, and if your bushing isn't cranked down REALLY TIGHT & slips a TINY bit in the middle, that'll mess it up. Even just breaking down the setup & putting it back together exactly the same way will give you variations in the cuts.

...so I never bought into it. I'm pretty positive that it's not as easy as it looks to get really GOOD-fitting joints like that.

I think before I spent that kind of money to make those kind of joints. I would take a serious look at INCRA at Woodpeckers.com I have an older INCRA Twin Linear and it is totally amazing. It is micro adjustable and is by far the best router fence system that I have ever seen. Here is a link to their newest Ultra. $199.00 and the flexibility to make fantastic corner joints is unbelievable.

http://www.woodpeck.com/ultra.html

Twin Linear

I've got the Incra and I've only begun to explore it's potential, and it is....... staggering :eek: :thumb:

Nothing against the MLCS unit! :thumb:

Hi Stuart, I have had my Twin Linear for about 10 years. It is an unbelievable piece of wood working equipment. Back then it cost around $400 it was fresh brand new to the market. I use it all the time as a great router fence. I love the split fence capability. The repeatability is what got my attention. You know, you run all your peices and then later on damage one of them, so you need to go back and make one over? Well with the INCRA system, it is easy and fulproof to do.

I haven't tried to do the double dove tails, but it is definitely on my agenda for the near future. You definitely want to have the master template book they have and also the video for the unit you have.

Tom...:D

Last edited:
Bill, I forgot the really BIG plus with the Incra.

You can cut all your similar side pieces at the same time at least up to 10 or so. Simply clamp all your sides together that need the same cut pattern, and go to work. In just a short time you have one end done, flip and do the other and you are half done.

That is the really cool thing about the INCRA. I guess I am prejudiced, but it took my drawer making and box making to a whole new level.

Tom..

I have a Incra 1000se. I hate to admit this but I took a spare miter gage and clamped a backer board to it until I got tight joint, then screwed it on. If I would have used the Incra I would have been way far ahead. I guess I'm not only not the sharpest tool in the shed, I don't even know where the shed is!!:eek:

Thanks for the feed back. It's as I suspected. I'll probably go with what you suggested. Need to save a few more penny's though.

I just thought of something. My Router table is a aluminum craftsman attached to my Ridged table saw. Do you forsee any attachment problems (I do). I did this because I use the table saw fence when I use the router. Also my work area is a crawl space and I don't have room for a dedicated router unless I move my parts bin to an outside building I have.

Thanks again Bill

I understand your problem. Trying to work on a table saw is hard. I had a Ryobi BT 3000 it had a plate to mount the router right in it. It was a pain. Instead of going to all the expense of a new router table and fence system. (That is what I did.) I just read in I believe Wood Mag. about a minutely adjustable box joint jig to use on the table saw. You turned a screw in or out to move the slot ever so little. You might look for that mag. I could be wrong on the Mag. Can't seem to find it at the moment.

Tom, I found it. Woodsmithstore.com. It was on Youtube under Box joint jigs. It 15.00 for the plans and hardware, in case anyone else wants to know.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill :D