A small arch top wine cabinet

8' tall, What are the legs. Initial sketch looks good. I like the concept and am interested in what you are doing with it. Is there a light in the cabinet? Is the top shelf a glass rack?

Have you started/finished this one? Can't wait to see the pics!

Shaz, your skills with Sketchup amaze me. :clap: That design looks almost hand-drawn. Did you use the #2 Pencil plug-in to get that effect? :rofl:

Good one Vaughn. Still slapping my knee.

Shaz...how do I like it?...c'mon, gimme a break. I'm a bear of very little brain. I'm sure you see it when you look at the sketch, but I cannot. I am interested, though, because my son and dil are into wine, and it may be a gift idea. Did it really turn out?...if so, I'd appreciate a photo of the actual thing...I relate more to that. Sorry Shaz...I enjoy your posts...couldn't help myself.

btw, I'm getting more and more into Sketchup (will never replace AutoCAD though) so I'd be interested in where you found the #2 pencil plugin that Vaugh mentioned. heheh.

Cheers.

Hi Gentlemen :wave:,
Must admit I have greatly enjoyed the diverse humor and creative prose.. My answers are in blue.:) Shaz

Looks nice Shaz! Will the same moulding be used on it as the doors and base trim? If so, might need to tie the trim into the base below.
Hi Darren :wave:,
The drawing is by the client, I added the word thick, and the letters srtosrface, after that I take no credit for that little rendering but thanks:huh: I think:D.
I will show you more as it develops, but you are correct, we need to tie the molding into the base some how. :)

Love the color and the attention to detail :D
Hi Stu :wave:,
You have always had a flair for the extravagant, that is what I like about you, well that's one thing among others.:D:)

I think you should draw bigger sketches for us old people.
Looks fine, what species will it be?
Hi Allen :wave:,
I agree with the larger drawings, next time I will tell my client to draw bigger or get a new guy from the neck down to do his work!:eek::rofl:Wood will be western red cedar trim with a birch plywood cabinet:)

Personally, I think the right edge is a little ragged. But, if that's what the client wants... :rofl:
Hi Rennie :wave:,
He asked for it to be a wee bit distressed, more so than the cedar closets I just finished for him about a month ago. It may be tough but if he wants ragged well ragged he gets!:rolleyes: Ragged is different than shoddy isn't it? :rofl::)

I like the design, but that yellow/green has to go.:rofl:
Hi Al :wave:,
I thought the same thing first time I saw the sketch, but it grows on ya'.:D .:)
8' tall, What are the legs. Initial sketch looks good. I like the concept and am interested in what you are doing with it. Is there a light in the cabinet? Is the top shelf a glass rack?

Have you started/finished this one? Can't wait to see the pics!
Hi Ed :wave:,
No legs on this one, it fits in a concrete wall that has an arc top opening. the hole starts about 8 1/2" off the ground and goes up 91" or so. It has been sheetrocked on both sides thus srtosrface = sheet rock to sheet rock face is 11 1/4". It will be opened from both sides and the 10 1/2" opening is what they wanted for the wine, they say it works well with 9 bottles. There will be a glass rack also made from the cedar. :) No light although that would be nice, they just didn't want to pull wire through the concrete wall. :doh:It is finished and paid for. They take these cedar things I make to their other house in Corpus Christi and wax them before installation. Pictures forth coming.:)

Shaz, your skills with Sketchup amaze me. :clap: Thank you, thank you very much!!:rolleyes::) That design looks almost hand-drawn. Did you use the #2 Pencil plug-in to get that effect? :rofl:
Dear Vaughn, you are spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME reading Dave's tutorials, that is secret sketch up template # 90776. No way you should have seen that.:rofl: :)

Good one Vaughn. Still slapping my knee.

Shaz...how do I like it?...c'mon, gimme a break. I'm a bear of very little brain. I'm sure you see it when you look at the sketch, but I cannot. I am interested, though, because my son and dil are into wine, and it may be a gift idea. Did it really turn out?...if so, I'd appreciate a photo of the actual thing...I relate more to that. Sorry Shaz...I enjoy your posts...couldn't help myself.
Thanks Ed :wave:,
And I too as do others, enjoy your posts. Thanks for joining in, always welcome, you know that! Photos are forth coming. It is an interesting project and I will help you any way I can. It has great potential, modified to suit your needs.:)

btw, I'm getting more and more into Sketchup (will never replace AutoCAD though) so I'd be interested in where you found the #2 pencil plugin that Vaugh mentioned. heheh. "Super Dave's sketch up template # 90776":rolleyes:.:rofl::)

Cheers.

Let me ask you all this question. Do you want to see it finished and then see some of the steps I took in the build or would you rather have me start with the thought process which took place first starting with the funny little yellow green drawing.
No poll on this but to be fair I will go the direction of the first 5 messages to elicit favor of either #1 or #2. First one to five wins, and I will need a counter for this one:doh::D.

#1 in favor of finished picture first

or

#2 start at the beginning and go from there..

Doesn't matter to me.
Shaz :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote would be for #1, followed by a thorough recounting of the processes (both thought and mechanical) you went through to get to the finished product.

However you decide to present it, I'll be watching. :lurk: This should be neat.

Shaz...

I'm number 6 so I don't count, but I feel strongly enough about it to chime in fwiw......

Definitely the second choice. Thinking about a project, making decisions during the design phase, drawing it, etc., is one of the fun parts for me. Being able to watch how someone does it who actually earns a living with it is enjoyable...not to mention informative.

Thanks for taking the time to post the process.

Cheers.
Ed

:wave:,

Let me ask you all this question. Do you want to see it finished and then see some of the steps I took in the build or would you rather have me start with the thought process which took place first starting with the funny little yellow green drawing.
No poll on this but to be fair I will go the direction of the first 5 messages to elicit favor of either #1 or #2. First one to five wins, and I will need a counter for this one:doh::D.

#1 in favor of finished picture first

or

#2 start at the beginning and go from there..

Doesn't matter to me.

Vaughn McMillan said:
Rennie Heuer said:
Chris Mire said:
John Hemenway said:
Darren Wright said:
I vote for #2
Ed Gerhard said:
#2 I'm number 6 so I don't count

Hi Ed :wave:, You always count!:D

The clarity of these 2 sentences was murky to say the least.
"I will go the direction of the first 5 messages to elicit favor of either #1 or #2. First one to five wins.

Thus far it is 2 for 1 and 4 for 2.:doh::rofl: I am just doing this to have fun, one of life's little pleasures, plus I practice my typing with a purpose. Just trying to add a different twist to an otherwise dull thread.
I was thinking :huh:, (came to me in the night!) I might just do it both ways in seperate threads, but I hate to hog up the space it would take.

Just a thought. What's your take?

#1 :huh:, or #2 :dunno:, or both ways #1 and #2 :rolleyes:, or no way #0 + #0 = #00 :doh:are the four options as I see it :D, however the hole remains the same, thus, reguardless of the outcome, these are the pictures of "The Hole That Needs Filling".:doh::rofl::rofl:
photo of the hole.jpg

Scan0003 (365 x 600).jpg

Scan0004 (365 x 600).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: