Wedding flower stands

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Well I am not sure this work warrants a post but just to prove I do work in my shop, I thought I would post a few pics of my weekend activities. We got hit with tons of rain over the weekend and then a suprising dump of snow, so shop time was in order and boy did I enjoy having a project to do that I could start and finish in the weekend. :p

Well LOML ( right now she is behaving so its not SWMBO) and I have been asked to be Maid of honour and best man at friends of ours wedding taking place in May.

She volunteered to make some flower stands for the church so I got the job of building what she wanted. Now she described it in typical fashion of what I imagine is guys like Todds daily nightmare when engaging a client that has no clue of how to communicate their specifications. :rofl:

I want it this high ( with her hands stretched out) and it does not have to be this or that and you can use any old wood etc.

So I decided after seeing Chuck's post on his colums to make a couple of octagonal colums and cap them with a octagnoal base and a round top to match the flower oasis bowl. Did not need to get into making a jig to glue up I just wanted these pieces to stick together so my clamps where simply blue painters tape ( good enough for this purpose).

I could have made it a lot simpler but decided this was a good opportunity to do some practicing and work out a few angles etc without the aid of a calculator or the likes. Then I cut a few inserts to match the inner octagonal shape and attached them to the top and the base and voila they were used to hold it all in place with a nice press fit.

Okay so i went to town especially when you see the end prodcut nobody is going to see my nice octagons except me. Hey I enjoyed my shop time a great deal, more than impressed LOML and helped a friend save a few dollars. :D

So for the picture police i snapped a few shots. Not great lighting but best I can do for a quickie.

P.S. The best thing was cutting these strips at an angle with my saw all tuned up and a think kerf blade was such a pleasure and when they went together oh boy if you could have seen my face was I delighted. It made it all worth while.

Attachments

• IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
...P.S. The best thing was cutting these strips at an angle with my saw all tuned up and a think kerf blade was such a pleasure and when they went together oh boy if you could have seen my face was I delighted. It made it all worth while.

Isn't it great when a plan comes together like you intend? :thumb: Nice job there, Rob.

Very nice Rob :thumb: though the octagon bases will be covered so the majority of the people will not see your creations, your friends will and for sure will appreciate your work :) and congrats on getting in your shop, its way to nice to let sit:wave:

Tom

NICE design and build, Rob. Looks like you got that Saw tuned up real good now.:thumb: Projects like that are really fun to do and you get real satisfaction, Real Quick.:thumb:

PS: I'm STILL Looking for that Mag with the "Tune Up" article in it and absolutely CANNOT figure out where it can be hiding.:bang: (The LOML is Certainly not going to be SWMBO for QUITE a while "IF" I find she has done one of her usual tricks and just grabbed something up and "STUCK" it somewhere that Only the Good Lord will remember where it is).:D

Great job Rob! How did you cut the inserts? Do you have an aftermarket miter?

Darren that was very simple in my books. I took the dimensions of the wall to wall interior of the flat faces of the colums. Made a square that size, then took a scap bit of plank and cut a 90* piece out at 45*to the edge. Then put the squares into the cut out one by one and sliced the edges off on the table saw with the plank running up against the fence and the fence set in such a way as to get the cut off correct. Then you just rotate the blocks and cut the corners off and voila you are done.

Great job Rob!!:thumb: More important though.... What did the Mrs. have to say about them??:D

The Mrs. was very happy. I was not too perturbed by the fact that they were going to be covered I wanted the practice and fun.

NICE design and build, Rob. Looks like you got that Saw tuned up real good now.:thumb: Projects like that are really fun to do and you get real satisfaction, Real Quick.:thumb:

PS: I'm STILL Looking for that Mag with the "Tune Up" article in it and absolutely CANNOT figure out where it can be hiding.:bang: (The LOML is Certainly not going to be SWMBO for QUITE a while "IF" I find she has done one of her usual tricks and just grabbed something up and "STUCK" it somewhere that Only the Good Lord will remember where it is).:D

Norman thanks for even thinking about it. My LOML is also one of those people. :rofl::rofl: I cannot understand how an organized administrator that will see to the minutest detail in paper work, can resort to "just stuffing things in" to a nook and cranny when it comes clean up time. I like a particular place for things, she will shove it in a draw until the draw cannot open. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Then no one can find anything at all and it makes a huge mess when one goes looking for something. Just ask me, this morning I had to find my weather station console power pack, the batteries were low and needed changing out without the loss of data. What a mess around the house trying to find what I had left in a secure place before.:bang::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the comments guys.