kinda in doghouse

Frank Fusco

Today (Sunday) is my wife's 65th birthday, a milestone. I never know what to get her for gifts. She is a bell collector and I'll give one or two if I can find good ones. But the bell thing does get old. Due to her changing.....er....shape...:eek: it is difficult to buy clothes. She wears almost no jewelry and things I have bought in years past sit unused in a box. So, I have started just giving cash, as much as my small budget will allow. Well, now I'm in the doghouse because she said she wanted to go on a cruise. I knew that. But my tiny budget wouldn't rent a jon boat for the creek down the hill. Oh, well. She had a flat the other day and I did buy her a new tire. Does that count? :(

Frank, I feel your pain. Valentine is coming up and I still haven't bought anything for my wife. It is not an easy decision. I am inclined to steal your 'tire' idea though.

Hi Frank :wave:,
How about a day or two cruise on the Delta Queen up or down the Mississippi? Would that fit?:huh: You may have to forget the budget and bite one of your old bullets? :D
Good luck!
Shaz

Today (Sunday) is my wife's 65th birthday, a milestone. I never know what to get her for gifts. She is a bell collector and I'll give one or two if I can find good ones. But the bell thing does get old. Due to her changing.....er....shape...:eek: it is difficult to buy clothes. She wears almost no jewelry and things I have bought in years past sit unused in a box. So, I have started just giving cash, as much as my small budget will allow. Well, now I'm in the doghouse because she said she wanted to go on a cruise. I knew that. But my tiny budget wouldn't rent a jon boat for the creek down the hill. Oh, well. She had a flat the other day and I did buy her a new tire. Does that count? :(

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! It DEFINITELY DOESN'T Count, Frank.:eek::eek: I can speak with authority on this subject, because about 5 years ago I thought that for a change I would splurge on something "Practical" for a gift for the LOML's birthday, and get her something she really Needed Or could use regularly. While perusing the subject for the proper gift, I happened to notice that the tires on her car were beginning to show a good bit of wear so I sneaked out in her car one Saturday morning while she was sleeping in, and bought her a full set of high mile rated (& High Dollar) Bridgestones and Proudly announced to her when she got up, that she should go out front and see her birthday present. I have only recently quit being reminded of that event as she mentions that to her friends and acquaintences, with, "Well......at least YOUR Husband didn't get you TIRES for your birthday"......... (and that wasn't even the only thing I bought her for that Birthday either).:doh:

On the other hand, I spent less than 20% of that amount for one of her Xmas presents this year and got her a ticket to a George Strait Concert, and that was a Real Hit.:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
We both gave up buying each other stuff a while back, I buy what I want for my Birthday, and she does the same for herself.

We do the cake and pictures, as well as the "happy birthday sweetheart" stuff, but trying to by just the right thing for her, act of futility, on my part :dunno:

Our way works for us. :wave:

the LOML and I are still 'newlyweds' but have been together long enough (going on 9 years this time around). I learned a long time ago that I'm not going to get it 'right', but that I had better buy something for valentines and her birthday...

This year I thought I'd pamper her a bit so I just popped in to Bed Bath & Beyond for a hit on the wallet. I hope she likes the selection I picked out... I like the scents I picked at least, so I'll know when she's using them.

Well, Frank, you could always finish that rolling pin you promised her...then she'd have a proper tool to hit you over the head with. Nice stought piece of hickory oughta do it.

Good luck with the novels.

Are you guys telling me that Stu and I are the only ones with our wives trained?

I can get away with putting linseed oil on a piece of lumber and she's tickled to death

Mine, too. We're behind, even, and nobody says a word. She hasn't seen an xmas or anniversary gift. With VD and her birthday coming the next two weeks, we're in gift debt, though. But we're even because I haven't gotten my birthday, xmas or anniverasry presents yet either - though I already know what they'll be - an all-gifts-combined pool table :D

Frank, maybe you have already made her a ton of them, but some hand turned bells. Nice contrasting finial handle on top, with a contrasting ringer inside? Maybe laser engraved (see Nancy) with dates? I have been married to one lady this being our 25th year. Honeymoon can't be over as we have never had money or time to take one yet!!!:rofl: :rofl:

"Are you guys telling me that Stu and I are the only ones with our wives trained?"

Hmmm... sometimes I think it works the other way around. Last week, Doorlink went to get our taxes done. The guy asked her all sorts of questions about possible deductions. You know, like 'did you give money to charity?' 'Did you put in new windows last year?' And, the best one:

Accountant: "Do you have any useful animals? You can take deductions for certain kinds of pets, if they're trained..."

Doorlink: "Does my husband count?" ;)

The good news: she didn't make any jokes about me being untrainable! ;) I have, though, taken to heart the old adage: "Love me gentle, love me tender, get me roses, NOT a blender..." ;) Of course, she can never remember what I got her for any particular occasion, but if I messed up, I'm sure I'd hear about it for years... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

You Know Frank You could always go to the video rentals and get her a DVD about cruises :rofl: Oh does she have a good sence of humor? :huh:

Face it Frank Your up the creek watching the paddle floating away. What ever you do I would think that it should be done pretty quick. Flowers would head up my list and maybe a nice dinner out ( No KFC doesn't count :rofl:).

Really Frank how long have you been married to this woman and you don't know what would please her by now? Geeez Frank get off the computer and go out and get her something. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really Frank how long have you been married to this woman and you don't know what would please her by now? Geeez Frank get off the computer and go out and get her something. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I bet a pound of twenties would do the trick :D oh wait if Frank had that he could go on the cruise.

Hey Frank, check the kitchen and maybe she needs a new mop or a broom. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Disclaimer
Injuries resulting from following my advice are the recipients own problem

Frank, better break open the piggy bank and book a cruise - you can do 3 days in the Caribbean for under $750 each (course, you gotta get to New Orleans too), but for her 65th birthday, you need to bite the bullet.

Nancy