Is this smoking ban too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if any of you have heard about this. But in Bangor Maine, the city council has made it a new law that bans smoking inside a vehicle while minors are present anywhere in the city limits This is the only law like it anywhere in the United States that I am aware of.

In addition, this is a primary law, meaning a police officer has the right to stop you for this offense. Some secondary laws mean that if you are stopped for another offense, they can add this to the ticket. With this law however, if an officer sees a smoker puffing away with kids in the car, they can pull you over and fine you even if you don't break any other laws.

Now this is not meant to start a anti-smoking/ smoking issue. Here in Maine some smokers and non-smokers alike, agree with it. Some however feel its an infringment of freedom. Just curious what people on here think.

Travis................I smoked cigarettes for 41 years. I stopped Jan. 15, 2006. I could kill somedays for a cigarette........but....I finally found myself huffing and puffing in a manner that I hadn't before.....Now I find myself huffing and puffing but it's because I've put on 33 lbs. since I quit.

There's no denying that smoking is a severe health risk. Anyone who denies it has their head buried in the sand. As far as the risks of 2nd hand smoke....I personally don't think it's as bad as hyped to be but it is of major concern.

I seldom trust most of the "surveys and reports" I hear these days. When I hear of a new report....I want to know...first...who financed it.....2nd...what was their opinion before they performed the report.....3rd...how long was the report or survey run......4th...where was it run.......

I find it hard to believe that states are passing bills banning all smoking in bars and restaurants.....Why couldn't a bar be a smoking bar and everybody know it when they enter?

Next we should outlaw outrageous partisan political statements....they've been known to raise blood pressure...High blood pressure is a killer...we are treated for it daily.......

Right now......the anti-smoking campaign is extremely popular and is politically correct and almost all politicians look at it as something both major parties can agree on........

JMHO........................Boy I'd like a smoke!

OK here's my take. I smoked cigerettes fo over 30 years. I quite cold turkey and stayed away from smoking for 10 years. I developed acid refex and found out that Nicotine will prevent Acid reflex desiese (I know this sounds strange but it is a fact). I took up cigars and since then have smoked cigars. If I am in an enclosed space (such as a car) around my grand children I don't smoke. Is it good for me, not realy but I am not troubled with acid reflex. I guess what I am saying it is about freedon to choose. I choose to smoke cigars, I also choose not to expose my GK to it. I won't go into a tirade about the government infringing on freedom of choice since that too is political. Is it going too far, well in my opinion yes.

I think smoking in a car with a child present is akin to neglect. Just a little shy of abuse. I'm all for such a ban. Seems to me that people who care so little about their children to smoke in close quarters with them deserve a ticket.

My father died when I was pretty young, due in large part to his continued smoking. I was exposed to blue air in our small apartment my entire childhood. Am I opinionated? You betcha. I for one am tired of having my air polluted by those who suck on their "death sticks"

Best wishes to all, smokers and non-smokers...

Ken

We had a "no smoking in indoor public places" ban imposed here in Ottawa some time ago.

((Background : smoked since teen till about the age of 24 - not too hard to quit I think because I rolled my own and they are a lot softer than factory rolled (I think) - never smoked around my son - I quit when Sarah got pregnant.))

But ... the "public places" didn't include bus stops where my son caught the bus to college - didn't include the entrance to stores and shopping centres or government buildings - didn't include enclosed spaces with minors inside - kinda seemed like it wasn't well thought out.

My opinion was that if folks wanted to have a pub / club / restaurant that catered to smokers they should be allowed - smoking is not illegal after all, and as an adult, I can make a decision to go or NOT to go inside. Places I have no choice about (groceries / doctor / gov't offices etc) is a different business.

I have no problem with a ban on smoking near minors (lacking the ability/permission to decide to leave), especially inside enclosed spaces like autos!! but some of the rest of the law seem a bit unfair/unreasonable considering it's a legal activity.

cheers to all smokers and non-smokers alike.

PS : one of the bans that seemed unfair was an elimination of segregated, isolated and air-filtered smoking rooms in elderly care homes. After taking tobacco taxes for 60/70/80 years of tobacco sales from these people, telling them to butt-out overnight seemed downright cruel - especially to veterans, many of whom started smoking on the free cig's handed out by the armed forces in WW2 ....

Last edited:
When I see a child or an infant in a car with a smoker I think it is a shame. That child has no choice in the matter and worse is is detrimental to the child's health and development. I think it is a shameful thing to do to a child - force them to smoke. I for one don't like legislation that infringes on a person's rights but then again sometimes people need it.

I am not sure if any of you have heard about this. But in Bangor Maine, the city council has made it a new law that bans smoking inside a vehicle while minors are present anywhere in the city limits This is the only law like it anywhere in the United States that I am aware of.

I am quite sure that this law will be overturned when and if it reaches the court system. Locally banning a legal drug is illegal. How is one to know if there are minors present anywhere in the city? Is it to be assumed that there are minors in the city with no visual presence?

PS : one of the bans that seemed unfair was an elimination of segregated, isolated and air-filtered smoking rooms in elderly care homes. After taking tobacco taxes for 60/70/80 years of tobacco sales from these people, telling them to butt-out overnight seemed downright cruel - especially to veterans, many of whom started smoking on the free cig's handed out by the armed forces in WW2 ....

They did that here in Florida. Not only in elderly care homes but also at any public facility. The good voters of this state voted it in. Isolated air filtered smoking rooms have no possibility to harm non smokers but when some people have the majority anything can happen. I can't wait until we non drinkers become the majority and pass legislation that in reality will really decrease the death toll. No one wants to talk about that. I wonder why?

I enjoy cigars, but I don't smoke around anyone else, unless I know they also enjoy a good cigar.

Smoking in a car with others in it is rude, to be sure, but to make it illegal..........? :dunno:

What is next, will they outlaw loud car stereos?

What bothers me much more than kids in the car of a smoker are kids in the car, not in a car-seat, they passed a law here in Japan, and you still see people with their kids on their knee in the front seat of the car..........:(

It is said that you cannot legislate morality, well you also cannot legislate common sense.

I am quite sure that this law will be overturned when and if it reaches the court system. Locally banning a legal drug is illegal. How is one to know if there are minors present anywhere in the city? Is it to be assumed that there are minors in the city with no visual presence?
Missing comma strikes again. Try this: "bans smoking inside a vehicle while minors are present, anywhere in the city limits". In other words, you don't have to figure out if there are minors anywhere else in the city limits, just inside your own car.

You may slap your forehead now. :doh: :p

Maine has been on the cutting edge of smoking laws for quite some time. I think we were the first state to ban smoking in any indoor public or work related place, not just bars and restraunts.

I have a feeling that "as Maine goes, so does the rest of the nation." In other words I have a feeling this law will spread around the rest of the nation pretty soon.

My personal feelings is that Bangor is on the right track. People can certainly chose whether they want to enter a bar or restraunt, but the workers inside cannot. That is where Maines work place law came into affect. It protects workers. In this case it protects children. Nothing turns my stomach like seeing a soccer mom in a minivan puffing away and seeing three kids strapped into the backseat taking it all in. My gosh, their lungs are the size of golf balls.

Here in Ontario they banned most (all?) indoor smoking at public places some time ago. It is such a relief. It's actually a shock now, when I venture into Michigan and see a smoking section in a restaurant. I think I can count on one hand the number of truly effective 'non-smoking' sections of restaurants that I've visited in my 42 years. One hand.

When the law was introduced, there was of course a hue and cry from the bar and restaurant owners, and the bingo parlors. I'm no economist, but as near as I can tell they're all still in business.

I've even heard of proposals -- and I don't remember if it was here in Ontario or elsewhere -- to ban smoking except on people's private properties. Draconian? Perhaps.

There is an old joke: "having a smoking section and a non-smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing and non-peeing section in a pool". And yet I still find that many (not all!) people who smoke just don't seem to get it. They're putting the smoke in their lungs, and after a while they just don't smell it anymore. They don't realize how long the smoke hangs around them, and goes along with them. Let me explain: At work there is this very nice lady who I get along with who smokes. Every now and then she'll stop by in my office right after she's been outside for a smoke. She has no idea that she still has an invisible haze of smoke attached to her clothes, and I need to leave my office for five minutes to let the air clear. Or another example: I used to ride the city bus 10 years ago in Edmonton, and regularly you'd get people who are smoking at the bus stop, take a last drag on their cigarrete, stamp it out, and then walk onto the bus dragging the smoke with them. And my eyes and lungs start burning. Or the simplest of all: it's perfectly legal to smoke outside. They say "if you don't like it, go somewhere else". But there isn't always the choice!! I need to get somewhere so I'm walking down the sidewalk, and the person 10 or 20 feet in front of me is smoking, and I'm stuck walking in their cloud of smoke. I hate to generalize, but I honestly feel that there are many smokers who just don't seem to get how bothersome the smoke is to us non-smokers.

I think it should be government policy to elminate smoking. Full stop. So I think they should have have tighter and tighter rules on cigarette advertising. I think they should have policies and plans in place to get the tobacco farmers to switch crops. I think the tobacco companies should be severely restricted and have plans in place to exit that business.

So yes, I think that this law in Maine is fine.
But if the parents are willing to smoke in the car and expose their kids to it... what about at their homes?

...art

They did that here in Florida. Not only in elderly care homes but also at any public facility. The good voters of this state voted it in. Isolated air filtered smoking rooms have no possibility to harm non smokers but when some people have the majority anything can happen. I can't wait until we non drinkers become the majority and pass legislation that in reality will really decrease the death toll. No one wants to talk about that. I wonder why?

I would respectfully disagree with Allen, in that smoking is virtually always harmful to one's health, alcohol is not. Certainly, it can be, but in moderation can actually enhance one's health and reduce the risks of cardiovascular disease. There are many solid studies that have proven this.

Anyway, prohibition of alcohol was an experiment that failed already...

Regards to all, smokers and non-smokers, drinkers and tea-totallers.

Ken

I don't typically respond (or read) threads like this because they end up in debate and turn ugly. I don't think that will happen here so I will toss out my .02 cents.

I have mixed feelings about that law. Not sure I if I agree or not. Of course the big question is will the Police enforce it? Probably not in most cases. I think the law has a positive point in that protects people that can't protect themselves. Children. Those type of laws I typically like.

What I hate is laws that are designed to protect me from myself. For example is it the governments job to tell me to wear a seat belt? Or wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle? Now I do both and I think people are foolish that don't wear them. But I don't think that is the Governments job to tell me. Child seats I am all for. Children can not protect themselves or don't know to.

Jeff
Kicking the soapbox back to the center of the room:soapbox:

I think the law has a positive point in that protects people that can't protect themselves. Children. Those type of laws I typically like.

What I hate is laws that are designed to protect me from myself. For example is it the governments job to tell me to wear a seat belt? Or wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle? Now I do both and I think people are foolish that don't wear them. But I don't think that is the Governments job to tell me. Child seats I am all for. Children can not protect themselves or don't know to.

Jeff.... You said it yourself "Children can not protect themselves or don't know to."

The helmet and seatbelt law protects children, since it helps ensure that they actually have a father and mother. :thumb:

i`m in agreement that morality should not be legislated.....in all reality what`s worse for kids.....to be around smoking parents or being raised to sit on their duff eating chips-n-drinking soda pop gossiping about their peirs in front of a television?
any adult with common sense who smokes will not do so in confined areas when their children are present......by turning the matter over to law enforcement the consensus is that folks would like for stupid people to keep breading and teaching their kids to follow in their footsteps....my opinion is to let nature take its course and let the strong/intellegent survive.....it`s not my place to tell anybody how to live or raise their kids, nor is it anybody elses place to tell me how.....
it`s really hard for me to understand how anybody could choose to legislate for or against moral issues.......next folks will be proposing that anybody more than 15 lbs overweight be sent to a government internment camp and fed beans-n-rice `till their weight conforms to the publics view of "perfection" and heaven forbid that a child......any child......be FAT.......the parents should be flogged in public........get real here folks!......tod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.