Turning grinder revisited

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
My plans for a slow speed grinder fell through. So I ordered a couple of zirconium belts from Lee Valley and resurrected my old 1" strip sander. I have and old slow speed motor on it. Should work nicely, but...

Heard tell from someplace that the Wolverine jig can be used with this.

Anyone done it and can post pics?

Carol.

Although I don't use the Wolverine system, the one I use is similar to it. It's one that I made and the only one I use for the bowl gouges. Anyway, I'll post some pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01095.JPG
    DSC01095.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01096.JPG
    DSC01096.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01097.JPG
    DSC01097.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 60
Uh-oh...I can already see you needing a new Sharpening Jigs section of the website. :rofl: That looks like a pretty slick setup, Randy. :thumb:

Carol.

Although I don't use the Wolverine system, the one I use is similar to it. It's one that I made and the only one I use for the bowl gouges. Anyway, I'll post some pictures.

I could really really really use a tutorial on how you made that....

Right now I free hand my tools on a 1 inch Harbor Freight belt sander... I get so-so maybe okay sharpening, but that looks like the cat's meow...I'm not much of a metal worker, but that looks slick enough to try to put something together...:thumb::thumb:

The belt that is on that has been on there for over a year. I have 4 different bench grinders, couple of cutter grinders and a surface grinder, but I really like the way the belt sander puts the edge on a tool. It's a pretty simple setup, I think that Sorby made something close to it years ago, don't know if they still make it or not, but I do remember it was really salty. I have a depth gauge on the side so I can maintain some kind of repeatability. The secret is mounting the base that holds everything.

OK, I like it, Randy. You selling them? I am not a metal person.

If not, then I have a couple of questions.

The base under the sander - is it fixed or is it intended to be slid in and out? How is it fixed into position?

The post into the bottom "u-joint" - there seems to be a "spare" to the left. I gather the u-joint is to allow tilting into the sanding strip and back out again. The stop collar on the post is one adjustment and the extension of the gouge in the top clamp holder is the other. You mentioned a depth gauge. Do you likewise have fixed numbers for the height of the post?

Finally, is the top clamp fixed in its angle to the top of the post, or does it also tilt?

PM would be welcome if you don't wish to discuss this publicly. You may be contemplating bringing a new product to market. Need a tester? ;)

Clever set-up. :thumb: I have a similar one incher with a (what else?) Grizzly label on it. They were sold under several different labels.
Enneyhow, I removed the platen years ago and lost it.
But your set-up should work fine even at normal speeds.
I found free hand sharpening on the 1" to be risky. Too easy to get careless and grind a groove with the edge of the belt.

Butch, I've seen that setup before, but it looks like it's not set up to do a fingernail grind like the Vari-grind attachment on a Wolverine rig.

He has an attachment similar to the wolverine(?) to do those, I don't know if it's on the website I'll check...

It's down lower on the same page, he calls it the versa-jig.

At the school all tools were numbered and the base with holes was numbered so you knew where to place the v block to get consistant sharpening results.

Last edited:
Well, great improvements were made to my set-up today when my friend Dave Smith came to visit.

We boosted the strip sander up an inch and an half. Then we mounted the locking base for the Wolverine. Then a piece of Melamine was attached to the platen via rare earth magnets. Finally a brace behind the platen took care of most of the flexing.

It did a great job on the bowl gouges! After Dave left, I put the leather belt on and charged it with the green bar and hone them. Oh my gosh! The gouge was cutting before it touched the wood or so it seemed! Whispers of wood floated off the cut and even end grain was as smooth as a baby's little cheeks.

Before Dave left, he suggested I made an MDF hone for the flutes and they will even be sharper.

There needs to be a little more refinement of the platen block and the honing wheels need to be completed. Maybe later this week!

Yeah, no pictures yet, but I have to make something for the skews. Finally I have a honker of a roughing gouge I absolutely love and it doesn't fit any of this. But a separate holder to sit into the Wolverine bar vee stop will solve that one.

When all is done, I'll post a picture, but what you all ought to see is the cut that is made and I ain't that good with a camera.

The Wolverine is working as advertised, but Randy's set-up is much more versatile or at least it appeared so in the pictures. So don't forget me, Randy. I am still interested.