spraying finish in tight qtrs

larry merlau

ok take a box of drawers take out the drawers and how do you spray the finish in there ? or you have a large deep shelf area 12" high and 18" deep how do you spray the top and sides and bottom without hitting one of them with hose or gun? how do you do this ??? no brushing and wiping on of poly we are talking spraying lacquer in this piece...

I do as much spraying as possible before final assembly; i.e., drawers without the bottom installed, cabinet without the back installed. Whenever practical, I dry-assemble (as with my credenza) then break it down and finish each piece seperately.

For small items, I have an HVLP detail sprayer sans regulator. That eliminates some of the bulk. Actually, I removed (or never installed) the regulators from all of my HVLP guns. I have a dryer and regulator at the spray area, so I set the appropriate pressure before a short flex hose.

that was where i was headed bill.. did that on the end table a while back but this is tighter area.. the ceiling and floor of a box area that is only 18" wide and 18" deep and 12" high is just a tad tight for me and my arm to bend like a pretzel need a real small monkey to do that stuff for me i guess:)

An option I heard some folks talk about is this:
View attachment 63491

You can aim it any direction in tight spots.

dont let jay see this:eek: i got one of those and just havnt taken the time to gamble on it.. i got new hoses and all.. so i could reach alittle further.. i suppose this would be the best time to try it out on something that doesnt count for much just a box that will be used to make quilts..

well skype came threw again:) i called the organ grinder and he and i had a nice chat and he got me threw the initial fear of that pressure pot and we got lacquer threw it last night and the gun does work nicer in tight areas and it seems to be nice to not have to stop every pint to refill.. so once again the forum and its wisdom has saved the day:)

I do as much spraying as possible before final assembly; i.e., drawers without the bottom installed, cabinet without the back installed. Whenever practical, I dry-assemble (as with my credenza) then break it down and finish each piece separately

I'm with Bill. Even on small pieces like frames and boxes, if there are going to be persnickety locations, I pre-finish. I almost always pre-sand as well; finish or not. There is very little scraping or sanding on a piece once out of the clamps for me.

i had the sanding done,, but had some tight spots that i could have used the finish to be done ahead of time... and will look into that more next time.. had thought about using wipe on earlier in the build stage but changed tunes and then got bit on the tight qtrs.. but i did have as much open as i could on this..

well skype came threw again:) i called the organ grinder and he and i had a nice chat and he got me threw the initial fear of that pressure pot and we got lacquer threw it last night and the gun does work nicer in tight areas and it seems to be nice to not have to stop every pint to refill.. so once again the forum and its wisdom has saved the day:)

Glad I could help Larry

Well Jay seems your baseball bat did the trick.:thumb:;) Now i got something else ol gray beard can pass on when i see him again.

Sometimes it just has to be done Rob :D