Horse radish

Terry Quiram

Sunday my son and I dug my horse radish bed. We were able to wash, peal and grind 12 half pints. It wasn't bad until we mixed in the vinegar and salt. That's when the tears started.

Attachments

• Grinding.jpg
    Grinding.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Grinding1.jpg
    Grinding1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 38
Tried to grow that stuff for years and all I ever got were little roots not good enough to peel and grind.
When I did grind some the eat did not last. Love the stuff.
David

Terry, can you share your recipe. I've had a patch for several years but have never put any up. I need to tear the patch up because that's where the new shop will go and I hate to waste it.

Oh man, that brings back tears to my eyes. Used to help a friend make sauce each summer, love it when it's fresh. Used to eat some when I had a head cold, cleared up the sinuses really quick. ;)

I've tried to grow it a few times and have managed to kill it every time.

Won't stop me from trying again though...

I had to inspect a couple of horse radish manufacturing plants over the years and we wore gas masks in there. The huge batches made it impossible to do otherwise.

I do love horseradish in a number of things. We have a recipe for meat loaf that we think is delicious that uses horseradish. We call it Zingy Meat Loaf.

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef 1/2 cup minced celery
2 eggs, beaten 1 Tbls. minced parsley
1 medium sized onion, chopped 2 carrots, grated
1 Tbls. horseradish 1 teas. garlic salt
1 teas. dry mustard 1 teas. salt
1/2 cup catsup 1/4 teas. coarse ground pepper
1 mid-size green pepper, chopped

Mix all ingredients lightly and shape into a loaf.
Place on rack in a baking pan; bake in moderate 350°F oven for 1 hour

Makes about 6 servings

Leftovers make for some fine sandwiches topped with mustard.

Cutting off an inch portion with the leaves on it and set it in water and it will re root and be ready to plant out again. Can keep the stock going for ever that way. Something here in NY that grows anywhere you plant it. Heluva Good makes an awful good table brand around these parts.