No good title for this post

OK. So I hate doing plumbing. Every time I try to do some sort of plumbing it turns into an ordeal. Yesterday I attempted to install a new fill valve for my toilet. To my dismay, when I tried to hook up the water supply to the bottom of the fill valve, the existing flanged metal tubing came up too high to be able to connect it. Actually, the fill valve thread came down too low.

Off to Lowes.

I brought the tubing with me so I could get the right size of flexible braided connector tubing to try to get his thing to fit. One of the Lowes guys was in the aisle so I told him what I was looking for. He told me (with disdain) that I didn't need to buy flexible tubing, that all fill valves are adjustable so I should just be able to adjust it so it fit. BS. I went home & the thing IS NOT adjustable. Jerk. This was last night.

Off to Lowes again this morning.

I'm standing in the aisle looking at what I think is the correct size of flexible tubing to use. The one that appears to be the correct size doesn't appear to have enough "give" in it for me to be able to get it to fit. In other words, I wouldn't be able to bend it enough to fit. At this point I'm thinking that I'm going to have to modify some of this tubing to get it to fit. I really didn't want to do that. I must have been standing there for ten minutes trying to figure this out. A different employee from last night senses my confusion/frustration. I explain my situation to her. She says "Why don't you just get a longer tube and loop it around so you have some flexibility to make it fit".

<I'm looking for the smilie with the light bulb over its head but can't find it. Use your imagination.>

Such a simple solution and I was :bang: to figure it out.

I don't know why I just typed that whole story. I guess I just wanted to share my joy over getting this problem fixed. Of course, when I install the tubing tonight, I'll probably hit a whole new set of issues. :eek:

A different employee from last night senses my confusion/frustration. I explain my situation to her. She says "Why don't you just get a longer tube and loop it around so you have some flexibility to make it fit".
Too bad you're already married. In my book any woman that can do plumbing would rate pretty high as a possible mate!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Plumbing is my worst DIY category too!:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, I can just picture the frustration especially when the answer is so simple! I assure you , I have been there! FYI, when I have one of the borg employees like that, I usually say OK and ignore what they told me. The ones that are arrogant and act like they know what they are doing usually don't!

I trust everything worked out ok?

Since there's no real point to this thread, I may as well make it a running commentary of my day. You don't mind, do you?

The guys who built my shop have started working on my basement this week. A few minutes ago, I received a call from my wife that there's been an accident. They needed to move a PVC waste pipe so the guy had a sawzall out to cut it. Well, apparently those things cut through flesh as well as PVC. He's on his way to the hospital now. Doesn't appear to be too serious since he was questioning whether or not to go to the hospital. Does need stitches though. This is a main pipe so we can't use any water in our house at this time. I only brought this up because even if I get the above-mentioned toilet hooked up, I won't be able to test it. Actually, the guy's dad is coming over to fix the thing so hopefully by the time I get home all will be well.

As an aside, I wasn't planning to post the progress of my basement on FW since I'm not really doing the work and it's not really WW related. Is that something you guys would like to see? If so, let me know & I'll supply commentary & pics. If not, I'll just keep it to myself.

Rob, it looks like you need to rewind about 2 days and start over again.;)

Just set back and think about your plumbing jobs around the house. The pipe doesn't need to be aged, dried, jointed or planed. Already it is much easier than making furniture or a turning. The pipe doesn't care how long it needs to run, and doesn't complain when you cut it. The worst you can have is a leak; not the best thing, but far from cutting a piece of well prepared wood an 1/8" too short. The leak is repairable, the wood is something else.:dunno:

Crappy problem you have there today.:D

Illegitamus non carborundum.

:rofl: Love hearing plumbing stories. I can do plumbing, fairly simple for me. BUT I hate it with a passion. It is the one thing in my house I did none of. I hired everything done! The only thing I did was install the shower head and only did that because I was doing the tile in the shower. Took several months to get that project done and it didn't make sense to call the plumber back for that. :rolleyes:

Only thing worse than plumbing is accounting! I hire that done too.

Jeff

As an aside, I wasn't planning to post the progress of my basement on FW since I'm not really doing the work and it's not really WW related. Is that something you guys would like to see? If so, let me know & I'll supply commentary & pics. If not, I'll just keep it to myself.
What part of "We love pictures" are you having a problem with? :rofl: :D

Bring 'em on!!! If your shop's going into the building then it has interest for me!:thumb:

Hey Rob,
Please keep posting on your adventure. I was delighted not by your misfortune, but that there's someone who hates plumbing as much as I do:rofl:

Whenever I do plumbing work, I feel obliged to come back several times to make sure it has not started leaking. At least with my woodworking I don't feel like I have to come back to see if the furniture has come apart:rolleyes: .

Hope it gets better from here on!

Whenever I do plumbing work, I feel obliged to come back several times to make sure it has not started leaking. At least with my woodworking I don't feel like I have to come back to see if the furniture has come apart:rolleyes: .

You must have experienced a flush of pride when you finished! :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: TO BOTH!

Jesse, I am the same way. At least with electrical you know really quick if you messed up. :rofl:

Glad to see your plumbing crisis du jour is down the drain.

Regarding the basement...even if you're not building it yourself, the folks here will likely benefit from and enjoy seeing progress pics. I'd say post away!

That's why there is a construction forum! Post away, I'm interested.

I wonder if I'll ever meet someone who LIKES plumbing :huh: :dunno:

Tomorrow I get to start replacing the cold water PVC pipe I installed with CPVC. Seems that PVC is not allowed inside at all in NM. Starting to regret not going all copper :eek: soldering is kinda fun afterall.

John

I wonder if I'll ever meet someone who LIKES plumbing :huh: :dunno:

Tomorrow I get to start replacing the cold water PVC pipe I installed with CPVC. Seems that PVC is not allowed inside at all in NM. Starting to regret not going all copper :eek: soldering is kinda fun afterall.

John

Well, I really don't mind plumbing and kinda actually enjoy sweating the copper pipes, it's just the "Getting To It" that I HATE.:doh: :(