Some new features of the forum

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
A few new features of the forum we thought you all might want to know about...

Quick Reply vs. Full Editor:
The forum may seem faster to do replys on, mostly as the quick reply is used by default, which does not open in a new window. However if you want the full editor, the one with all the formatting buttons and smilies, just double-click any Reply button. If doing a multi-quote reply, select the posts you want to quote, then double-click the last post's Reply with quote button and you'll get the full editor.

Image upload:
The image uploader has changed, once you get used to it, it's not a bad interface. If you don't like the new uploader, you can change it back to the old style in your User CP>>General Settings>>Enhanced Attachment Uploading options.

My Images:
In the advanced editor under the Smilies on the right, you'll find a button called My Images. The button will bring up a dialog for you to insert links/full photos of images that you've uploaded once before from either your albums or attachments. Future versions of this dialog may include Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket albums, all of which will be tied to your user cp to manage your own accounts for those. The button will also be on the toolbar of the editor, it's there now, just grayed out as I haven't got it working yet.

example of link only:
attachment.php

example of a linked image:

I haven't tried images yet, but the 'add a link' one kinda caught me by surprise. I had to allow 'scripted windows' in order to add a link to text - and it appears that it's a temporary allowance, so I'll have to do it each time I want to post a link. Is the old "link" feature available? BTW, I'm using MSIE 8 (and have no intention of changing to something else).

Also, after using it for a while, there's one change I'd really like to see: Could we bump up the default font in posts a couple points?

Right now, it looks to be about a ten point font, and these old eyes are a bit strained by it. Bumping it up to around twelve points would sure help.

I haven't tried images yet, but the 'add a link' one kinda caught me by surprise. I had to allow 'scripted windows' in order to add a link to text - and it appears that it's a temporary allowance, so I'll have to do it each time I want to post a link. Is the old "link" feature available? BTW, I'm using MSIE 8 (and have no intention of changing to something else).

Also, after using it for a while, there's one change I'd really like to see: Could we bump up the default font in posts a couple points?

Right now, it looks to be about a ten point font, and these old eyes are a bit strained by it. Bumping it up to around twelve points would sure help.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I'll take a look at the fonts in a couple of days. Try the Text Size setting in IE (View>>Text Size) to use a larger font.

I'm not able to re-create the scripted windows issue, but you can add FWW as a trusted site usually by clicking on the options of that popup warning or going to Tools>>Internet Options>>Security Tab then highlight the Trusted Sites icon. Click on the Sites button type in http://familywoodworking.org, uncheck the option at the bottom to require https and click Add. You might repeat this for http://*.familywoodworking.org as well.

I do know that if you use google chrome, and have a wheel mouse, making things bigger is as easy as holding down the CTRL key and move the wheel up and down to change the zoom level.

I do know that if you use google chrome, and have a wheel mouse, making things bigger is as easy as holding down the CTRL key and move the wheel up and down to change the zoom level.

Yeah, that works with MSIE, too, but it also changes every site you go to. I just wanta see FWW bumped up.

BTW, (Darren), adding FWW as a trusted site took care of the 'pop-up' issue.

I'm used to a few variations of vBulletin front ends as many forums use the product. I like our presentation best by far. Way to go team! I've run through the paces on IE-8, Chrome and Firefox 3.6 (I know its old but, a requirement for some things at work) and all functions as expected with all styles. I realize others may have settings (or lack of settings that make things not look or act OK. Relax, its no different than any new offering you have had to adjust for, you just don't recall it right now :).

The picture managing interface can be quite handy if you take the time to add folders that categorize your pics. I find this useful as different folks often touch on the same subject at various times and I can provide the same pic to different threads without having to fool with finding the "other" thread where I used it and linking the pic or bothering with the album feature which seemed kludgy (to me). All in all a powerful and usable forum product. Thanks to all for the hard work (with little reward) :p

Last edited:
Yeah, that works with MSIE, too, but it also changes every site you go to. I just wanta see FWW bumped up.

Are the fonts too small on the VB4 default style template as well or it just the Woody templates?

Just so you know, it's going to take some time to update as there are dozens of places I have to update it and then I'll need to test with various browsers to make sure something didn't break. Sorry for the inconvenience, but let me know about the default style. :wave: