Cyclone ductwork for the new shop

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
Hey! I finally got the piping for my cyclone. :laugh2:
All I need now is to contact the boys who built the shop and put them back to work. :thumb:

Update: Would you believe I haven't heard from my builders in a year now and the man called me yesterday to see how I was getting along? :eek:
On the same day I got the piping home. :rofl:
He will be here today to give me an estimate.

100_1747.jpg

100_1749.jpg

Thanks to Marty for the advice on where to get a good deal on the piping and fittings. I saved over $600 from the price PSI quoted me.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3425

Won't be long before I can finally use the BIG tools! :rofl: :rofl:

YIPPIE!

DT

Last edited:
cool deal don! gotta love small businesses, good stuff at fair prices.

Not only that Tod but the man (Bruce) is a pleasure to work with. He will bend over backwards to help you. He remembered Marty when I mentioned where I found his company.

DT

Don,

Boy, those pictures sure bring back memories!!! :rolleyes:

I'm glad you hooked up with Bruce. As you said, he's a true pleasure to work with...and it doesn't hurt that his prices are really hard to beat! ;)

So, what size pipe(s) are we looking at? Looks like you got a few different runs there...

I didn't notice any rubber gaskets. Are they under the flanges in that box? If you didn't get any, you really should consider them. They make a big difference in sealing the flanges...and they're very cheap!

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can help you with any questions or challenges you might run into. The pipe isn't all that hard to install. And once you get your first Vanstone done, it'll be a piece of cake! :thumb:

Oh wait...you're not doing the work yourself! :rofl:

Seriously, you're still welcome to have your helpers ask anything they might need to...;)

Good luck...
- Marty -

Don,

Boy, those pictures sure bring back memories!!! :rolleyes:

I'm glad you hooked up with Bruce. As you said, he's a true pleasure to work with...and it doesn't hurt that his prices are really hard to beat! ;)

So, what size pipe(s) are we looking at? Looks like you got a few different runs there...

There is 4" 5" and 6" in there Marty.

I didn't notice any rubber gaskets. Are they under the flanges in that box? If you didn't get any, you really should consider them. They make a big difference in sealing the flanges...and they're very cheap!

The gaskets are being mailed to me. He forgot he had included them. Also, he wouldn't let the floor sweep leave the building. He wasn't happy with the way his man made it. He will make another and ship it also.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can help you with any questions or challenges you might run into. The pipe isn't all that hard to install. And once you get your first Vanstone done, it'll be a piece of cake! :thumb:

Uh oh :eek: What the heck is a Vanstone?

Oh wait...you're not doing the work yourself! :rofl:

Seriously, you're still welcome to have your helpers ask anything they might need to...;)

Bruce said the very same thing. He made several of the long runs extra long and didn't cap them so they could be cut to size. He said if the installers needed to call him feel free. I sure may take you up on your offer when I get to the point of playing with the blast gates and hook ups.

Good luck...
- Marty -

Here is the setup for a 24'X24' shop.

Picture1-3.jpg

Picture1-2.jpg

This is the Cyclone I'm installing.

TEMP1535S.jpg

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/temp1535s.html

I have already changed the position of most of the machines but the hookups will still work. :huh: :dunno: :rofl:

Thank everyone for the comments.

DT

Last edited:
That is a LOT of pipe. How are you going to attach it to the walls/ceilings? Pipe strapping?

Most of it is going in the attic and will rest in a crotch in the joists. On those pipe strapping will be fine. I'm not exactly what I will use in the shop yet. Hopefuly something a bit better looking. :)

DT

They just left, they will start tomorrow!

YAHOO!

DT

Way kewl Don!

If they're going to be starting, I assume a) they know what a Vanstone is, and b) you have the gaskets...?

By the way, you (and your helpers) might like to take a quick peek in my "Birth" thread at post #1315 (here's a link)

That post is where I started on my ductwork, and it shows the process of creating a vanstone. That was my first, and it wasn't the prettiest...but I got REAL good before I was done!

Good luck, and post pictures! :thumb:
- Marty -

I sent your site to them Marty. They saw no problem in working with the ends. The seals aren't here yet but they will get the cyclone up in the attic and lay the piping ready to put it all together.

DT