Spoon Carving

Ed Nelson

I carved another spoon. It is basswood with garnet shellac & wax finish. Let me know what you think!

IMG_06042.jpg

I imagine you must be a very patient person.

That sure looks good, and like it takes a lot of careful contemplation!:thumb:

Ed Nelson;120604...Let me know what you think! [/quote said:
I think it wouldn't work very well for ice cream. :rolleyes: The handle's way too big and has too many pokey things to hold comfortably. :rofl:

This one's great, Ed. :clap: I think it's your best yet. (At least that I can recall.) Very nice work, and way beyond my skills. Out of curiosity, what are the four dots on the upper set of leaves?

They are supposed to be berries or grapes. There's actually more than 4, but the angle of the pic isn't the best!
I see the grapes in the curl of the leaves, but I was wondering about the four smaller dark dots going across the wider part of the leaves.

Ed,

That is great! How long did it take from start to finish? I'm also curious what type of tools you are using.

Thanks,

how long will it take???

for you to ship something from your place to mine got a head board coming up that could use some of your style of flat work..nice spoon there and i am sure your hands are sore...:thumb: so whats next on your list?

Ed,

That is great! How long did it take from start to finish? I'm also curious what type of tools you are using.

Thanks,

Hey Lee, thanks to the comment. I really don't know how long it took since I would work on it a little then move to something else. I would guess it took 4~5 hours. I have several of the Pfeil gouges (and still need several more!) I'm still learning what the different gouges will do.

for you to ship something from your place to mine got a head board coming up that could use some of your style of flat work..nice spoon there and i am sure your hands are sore...:thumb: so whats next on your list?

I don't think I'm quite at that level yet Larry!

Last edited:
Beautiful job Ed, I've seen that pattern as I have the book, but I have'nt gotten up the nerve to carve it. My brother carves spoons, I'm more into in- the- round and relief. Once again great job.
Larry