NYW ending production

Yeah, the rumors have been there for what, a year or so? Sad to see him leave the air waves. Maybe on future shows we will get to see something built for the house they are working on that is built in his own shop. Jim.

Yup, never missed a show either.
Watching him gave me the desire to get back into woodworking also.
I've met Norm and Tom Silva several times. One of my customers in Massachusetts has them as customers and I've bumped into them in their showroom while they were buying tools and fasteners. Norm is as genuine and down to earth as he seems on TV. Tom not quite as much.
I get a little tired of This old House though. It annoys the heck out of me to see all the top of the line and fanciest everything they put into the homes. They need to do more average typical family kind of projects. In my opinion anyway.

Oh boy another sad blow to woodworking. Does anyone know if its going to be replaced. Guess i might as well get rid of the TV now. One thing for sure no point in me having one in my shop. I will get sick if i see another reality show come out in its place.:huh:

Do we all take this lying down and accept it as inevitable or do we right to pbs. I thought PBS stood for Public Broadcasting Service. Guess woodworkers aint public anymore.:D

Norm was certainly an inspiration to me. His humble demeaner and his logical explanations made believe I could build tools, furniture etc. I will miss NYW!

Norm made a good run and I will be sorry to see him go. His style of woodworking no longer fulfills me, but I still respected and liked him. I never could understand the disdain for him, exhibited by some. I have not seen his shows for the last couple of years, but that is due to mainly my PBS provider.

... Do we all take this lying down and accept it as inevitable or do we right to pbs. I thought PBS stood for Public Broadcasting Service. Guess woodworkers aint public anymore.:D
Norm has a right to retire just like the rest of us. NYW reruns will be with us for a long time to come.

I, too, will miss Norm and the NYW - it has been a Sat. afternoon tradition for years. He convinced a lot of woodworkers that they could do what he showed on each episode. We all laugh at the number of tools he had but don't we all wish we were in the same situation? I heard he was going to start a school but that may be just rumor. Here is to Norm and whatever he may decide to do, I'm sure he will be a success, plaid flannel shirt or not.

Jim

I didn't see anything about why they were cancelling the show (maybe I missed it). Norm could continue doing it into his dotage - I doubt if it takes a lot of physical effort on his part, and he could have others plan the project for the show.

Anyone know why it was cancelled? Maybe just not enough viewers?

Mike

I may be the only woodworker who has not seen a full episode of one of Norm's shows. My rekindled interest in woodworking happened about the same time my interest in TV dwindled, so I've not really watched the show. (Except for a few little bits here and there.) I know he was an inspiration to a lot of folks out there, though.

I'll miss Norm. If itwasn't for him I wouldn't be a woodworker. It was seeing his show so many years ago that made me feel like, Yeh, I could do that! I have notice in a lot of his latest shows his hand was shaking sometime. I hope that it isn't a disease that is forcing a cancellation. I'll toast him next time I open a green one!

I too am saddened by the news. Although I always enjoyed the program, the local PBS affiliate's inconsistent viewing schedule was a source of constant frustration.

Norm always struck me as a knowledgeable woodworker and humble man. I just hope that whatever the reason for the program's cancellation, Norm is at peace with it. For those of you who've had the privilege of meeting Norm, I'm envious.

kinda cool so many folks became interested/inspired by a television show.
i`ve never watched an episode of nyw:eek: