Ahoy all you Plane users

Rob Keeble

Been thinking ....which is dangerous.......since seeing Tom post his recent acquisitions of moulding planes that it might be interesting to have a go at making some.

Got to thinking about the profiles and thought one way to do this would be to do a group project.

So here is what i thought do you think this is possible and would anyone be interested.

Find someone on our forum or outside vendor that makes custom mouldings with a moulder machine.

Have an agreed selection of moulding profiles run on some stock suitable to be cut into sections to make planes.

So i presume this would be say 4 or 5 inch high by anywhere from 3/4 to 1.5 inch wide and then lengths to suite the group number. So say 4 or 5 guys participate then one length of say 6 ft moulding would be required.
This is then cut up into sections and distributed as a set after the series of profiles are run, to each participant in the group.

Each of these sections would form the basis of a moulding plane for the individual participant to make.

For blades I am still thinking of a solution but thought why not throw the idea and concept out there see if there is any input and interest from our Neader group.

rob i am not so sure that many like making there own trim with a plane, its much more work than you might think.. it takes alot of passes to make one piece.. but i will watch and see what others have to say.. the idea is good to make tools threw a group.. like the screwdriver kits out there or scratch awls.. but that tends to be spinny stuff.. so i will set back and watch your progress to see where it goes..:D:thumb::thumb:

rob i am not so sure that many like making there own trim with a plane, its much more work than you might think.. it takes alot of passes to make one piece...

Yeah, Larry's right.

Even with my obvious love of old planes, I've never gotten into the moulders. With all the commercially available molding profiles, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to mak your own plane for them. For simple moldings, the router table is more the way to go.

Of course, there are always exceptions - Antique reproduction or restorations being probably the most prominent one. Some profiles just can't be done any other way, so 'homemade' planes become a necessity. Even at that, though, the idea of using a commercial molders' profiles wouldn't work, since his profiles wouldn't be the same ast the antique's.

Nice idea, Rob, but I really don't see it being practical overall.

actually jim, some shops can make unique profiles. they cut there own shapes on amachine ,,toms son does that where he works now.. i am sure its not cheap but i think you could get a profile made to match old trim work.. and if you were gonna run enough of it could be cost worthy..

Yeah i guess you two grey beards are absolutely correct again:eek:.:):thumb: Well it was an impulsive idea to test the water with the neader flatworkers and stop the spread of the spinny disease.:rofl:

Just for kicks I will ask my son tonight what a BASIC set up charge is and what it would run to do 6'. Than what a custom profile would run:)

Don't know if I will use:dunno: I do like the idea of a nice display case/shelves next to the brain stormin' area:) I also have another half dozen or more that I already had to display................Hmmmmm, I guess I had better pull those out and take a pic and post (by the weeks end) before the pic police bite me:rofl::rofl::rofl:

actually jim, some shops can make unique profiles. they cut there own shapes on amachine ,,toms son does that where he works now.. i am sure its not cheap but i think you could get a profile made to match old trim work.. and if you were gonna run enough of it could be cost worthy..

Yeah, I know that, but (several years ago) Ballews wanted $165.00 for a set of knives, and a (then) local shop charged a $75.00 set-up fee, plus 75¢ per foot, if the customer provided the cut-to-size wood.

Considering that, the first six feet of molding would cost $$144.50, or $24.08 per foot.

For most restoration work, you'd only be making a foot or two of molding - maybe six feet max if you're doing a breakfront, or something, so a set of custom knives each time wouldn't be cost productive unless your customer had VERY deep pockets.

Yeah, I know that, but (several years ago) Ballews wanted $165.00 for a set of knives, and a (then) local shop charged a $75.00 set-up fee, plus 75¢ per foot, if the customer provided the cut-to-size wood.

Considering that, the first six feet of molding would cost $$144.50, or $24.08 per foot.

For most restoration work, you'd only be making a foot or two of molding - maybe six feet max if you're doing a breakfront, or something, so a set of custom knives each time wouldn't be cost productive unless your customer had VERY deep pockets.

wow,, well so much for that idea huh!!!!

All though I would still ask the custom shop first.
The one here will charge for having to make knifes that are what you need. But they keep them so the next guy only has to pay set up. There is a good chance they all ready have the set up in stock. They have piles of knifes. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: