TS Zero clearance insert/splitter

Jeff Horton

Talk about these $100 splitters made me think about my $0 zero clearance throat plate and splitter. I can't see paying $100 for something I can make myself and it works. Some of you guys have more money than me! ;) :D

zc1.jpg splitter.jpg

Over look that fact that this one is crooked. I just hit with something and broke it. So I need to make a new splitter for this plate.

Here is how I make mine. I start by tracing the metal throat plate on a piece of maple I had. Plywood should work, as well as most any hardwood. I cut the blank out over sized since I want a snug fit in the opening.

I sand the radius ends, again oversized, till I get a snug fit. Once I get one like I want I can mark out more from that one. I can even take a pattern bit and the router and make more. So take your time on your master.

Once to size I plane them down so that they are flush with the table top. I have been thinking about adding some small screws to the bottom so I could adjust the height but this has worked fine for me.

Once the plate is made I switch to a smaller blade on the Unisaw. Slide the fence over the plate to hold it in place. Fire up the saw and raise the blade into the plate and its done. I use the same method for the dado inserts. Just KNOW where the blade is so you don't raise it into your fence!

For the splitter after cutting the slot, I the replace the plate with another one. I raise the blade. Place the throat plate over the blade and run the fence up against it to get my spacing. Then remove the plate, fire up the saw and feed the plate it till I have one long slot. Then it is just a matter for cutting a splitter to the right thickness. I like to hand plane mine to size. Just taper the leading edge so the part can slide past without catching. Then drill some pilot holes and screw it together.

Free and cheap. My kind of tooling.

Jeff

Excellent idea Jeff.

I made my own zc plate for my ryobi bt3000 which is a little different than most other ts (it's a PITA if you ask me). I used solid laminate flooring as a blank cut to size and fitted into the hole.

But now seeing how you attached a splitter I will have to go back and revisit mine.

Since I am/was looking for a splitter for the unisaur I am now thinking on copying your idea instead....Thanks Jeff.

It's not original with me I am sure. I don't remember seeing this design anywhere but I bet I did and just copied it. It's really a simple idea but it works great.

There are only two things to remember with it.
  • Remove the ZC plate before tilting the saw blade :eek:
  • Make a master and save it, that way you use it as a template with the router and make a more. (See first line) :doh:
  • Bore you a finger hole for lifting them out. Makes is MUCH easier!!

I have a 3 or 4 laying around I use. I need to make some more, I use them all the time.

Last edited:
There are only two things to remember with it.
  • Remove the ZC plate before tilting the saw blade :eek:
  • Make a master and save it, that way you use it as a template with the rotter and make a more. (See first line) :doh:
  • Bore you a finger hole for lifting them out. Makes is MUCH easier!!

...or maybe three...

:rofl: couldn't resist:D

Don't forget Zero Clearance for your DADO.

And notice my "fitting Jig" :rofl: :rofl: I took the time to cut slots for ALL the combos for the DADO and labeled them with which blades make the width. Now I don't measure at all just slide the piece into the slot that fits and I know exactly which blades to use. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSC01027.jpg
    DSC01027.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01033.jpg
    DSC01033.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01029.jpg
    DSC01029.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 51
I'm with you Jeff. Some 1/2" BB ply, a few set screws and you're set.

ZCI_1.jpg

May as well have some for the CMS too; how about a half-dozen?

make six sm.jpg

Makes it real easy to see right where you're gonna cut.

new cut sm.jpg