What can you do?????

Alright, been thinking about this for a while. Seems like everyone has so much energy, maybe it is the weather. Let's see what all of you can do with a 2X4 one foot long. Flat workers, neanders, turners, combos, what can you do with a foot long 2X4??????????
Here is the deal. Everyone seems to have so much energy, let's put it to work. I am pretty certain all of you have in your shop or scrap bin, a foot long, yes, 12" long 2X4. What can you make from it???? One million toothpicks????? A jewelry box???????? A winged bowl?????? Two pens and something else?????? Do with it what you want. Cut it, turn it, plane it, stain it, router it, mill it, paint it. Make three items out of it. Make ten items out of it. Make the most of the foot long 2X4.
Post that you want to participate. I will create the list below this post. We can all discuss how long we want to work on this project. This is Friday evening as I type this, let's try to have a group assembled and a decision on an ending date by this Sunday evening. People can still post their desire to participate and be added to the list, they just will have to follow the agreed upon date. After the determined date, photos will need to be posted of your completed project(s) from this 12" long 2X4. I will learn how to create a poll so all can vote one time for THE ONE most amazing use of the 1' - 2X4. Get it????? You can build whatever. You can build numerous items as long as you stay within the one piece of 12" 2X4. Can be left natural, can be painted or stained, can be whatever your heart desires (could even be a heart!!). Okay folks, put on your thinking caps. The question to you is, "WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A 12" - 2X4"?????????????????

So far this is what has been decided.

1. Just a hunk of borg pine 2x4.
2. Yep, paint, stain, hinges, wheels, axles, enhancements are fine!
3. The cut offs for making your project can be used to make more projects.
4. I guess I am looking for: A-the quality of the project built AND B-the quantity of projects built. I am just interested in seeing what it is a hunk of 2x4 in all of our hands can become!!!! This is for pure unadulterated fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. ALL of the wood on this project HAS to come from that 12" - 2X4.

Oh, I will send the winner a $50.00 bill.

Who's in????????

1. Brent Dowell
2. Tom Niemi
3. Ken Cook
4. Jim C Bradley
5. Bob Gibson
6. Matt Ducar
7. Ken Werner
8. Rex Bloem
9 Dan Noren

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't even read the whole rule set yet, but I'm in... :rofl:

Creative juices flowing, don't know here they are flowing:p but YES count me in:thumb:

Thanks for stepping in already guys. I think this has the opportunity to really see some interesting ideas from something simple and little to no cost. Brent, time for Sharon to get more shop time.

Let me know when you think would be a good time to post the final results. Before Thanksgiving? Halloween? Don't want it to long, but want it long enough to get some people back in their shops doing something. Heck it can even be a wooden truck for a grandkid.

Just a question, does the material need to be a piece of pine 2 x 4 (3 1/2" x 1 1/2") OR can we use an actual 2" x 4" x 12" piece of wood of choice:huh: just askin':D

I'd like to as well, but I'm about to get slammed with work and other projects that need to get done. My wife was ok with things put on hold while the pool was open, but time to get back on track. Will be watching though, this should be good. :thumb:

sounds good to me too, however the 'busy' season is starting at work... as in 6 days a week busy... so my one day home per week is going to be spending a bit of quality time with the family... (oh, and scrolling a bit...) neat challenge though.

Just to be completely clear, you are allowed any kind of a chunk of wood to start with as long as it is (3 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12") in size... :thumb: :thumb:

I need something else to do like an extra hole in my head. However, since this is FWW, I'm in.

I will stick a message to Steve Southwood here. This is just to make those of you who didn't read a certain post curious.

Another family on the block was the Philpots.

Enjoy,
Jim

if i had more time i would join in jonathan but i am about to be busy..sounds very interesting and i will just hit the next one..
Well just take your knife and get in the "Toni mode" and carve us something while you are waiting in that there tree like a Tarzan!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm in...should be lot's of fun with the creative minds we have here :thumb:
Great, glad to have ya Ken!!! We're going to find out how creative they are aren't we!:thumb:

Just to be completely clear, you are allowed any kind of a chunk of wood to start with as long as it is (3 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12") in size... :thumb: :thumb:
Just a good ole hunk of borg pine has been decided on to clear up any misunderstandings and keep the playing field somewhat level!:dunno::thumb:

Hi, It is me again. Can we add things, like a piece of metal, plastic or pen parts?
Jim
Yep, enhancements I will call them. Like wheels if you make a truck out of it, or a metal roof if you make an outhouse, etc. :):thumb:

I'm in. Forget the $50.00 Jon, just competing is fun enough. I say it has to be a borg pine 2x4. No fancy wood.
I agree and what I originally had in mind so that is what I have stated, a piece of good ole 2x4 stud, borg pine. If you are the winner and want, I'll send it to Vaughn for putting in the account for running this here forum. :thumb:

Count me in too :thumb:

With all the repairs I've been having to do around the house, I haven't had much quality time in the shop. This small project with a deadline sounds like just what I need to get me back in and motivated.

Thanks for the kick in the pants