Spiral cut basket

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've inherited a basket that my great uncle made several years ago. He had an amazing talent for building various wood projects. I always admired his work as it was very clean and professional. I guess what was more amazing was that he only had one arm and was missing half of his index finger on his other hand. He had one of those clamp type prosthetic arms from the elbow down. The story goes that shortly after coming back from WWII, he got his arm caught in a cultivator. I'm not sure how he lost the finger though. I've got the news article around about the incident. It was titled "Practicing the Golden Rule" as all the local farmers pitched in and took care of my uncle's farm and business for the rest of that season while he recovered.

Anyway, here's the basket...enjoy

Attachments

• IMG00088.jpg
    IMG00088.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG00089.jpg
    IMG00089.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG00090.jpg
    IMG00090.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi Darren :wave:'
Sounds like you have some good stock in your line.
That basket is a very interesting one. Is it cut from a flat piece of wood in one continuous band saw cut then raised up, like a slinky to create the basket? Is that about how you see it? It seems so accutate and the handle is just fitting perfectly. Great acquistion!:thumb:
Thanks,
Shaz :)

That's cool, Darren. I've seen similar baskets at the craft shows, but yours has a family story that makes it mean a lot more.

Shaz, these are done with a scroll saw or bandsaw. Here's a link to a site showing one way it's done.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Your description is correct Shaz, it's much like a slinky.

Vaughn, that was a good site, interesting idea. I see adds for writing content out on the Rent-a-coder site all the time. Wonder if it's their ads.