My Shop Roof Rebuild

"In the dry" and "Dried in" are certainly in my vocabulary. I never thought about the possibilty that they are regional terms. Anyway, however we phrase it, Steve, it looks like you have battled back and met the test. As bad as this was, you have kept it from being even worse. Way to go, Steve, you have a lot of people pulling for you!......:thumb:

Great news, Steve! What's on the to-do list after you finish the last panels? By the way, I guess that answers my question about the roofing felt and shingles!! :D Jim.

I've got to get some wiring hung in the trusses.
Then its ceiling time. I didn't have one in the previous roof.
Then its cleanup time again, then get my tools back in place.

Dear Steve,
I as others have been silently following the events in these past weeks. The fallen roof, unexpected sadness and little time to mourn the loss. Pushing on as you have with the help you got, some seen some not, you are doing well. Thanks for sharing your progress at a time when it would have seemed you would be all "gived out".
Respectfully,
Shaz

My shop is officially Dried in, as of 1:00 today.:thumb: :D :D :D :D :D

Some rest is in order now.
I'll probably do a little cleaning.
Make a grocery list for lights, wiring, etc.

I'll put some pics up this evening

Super, now you can rest just a bit before getting on to the rest of the rebuild. It's got to be a huge load off your mind. Wiring is next huh, now you are gonna have to play what the heck is this wire stub and where did it go before:huh: Most of my home runs are overhead and I figure yours were too. I hope you can remember what is what,good luck.:thumb:

Super, now you can rest just a bit before getting on to the rest of the rebuild. It's got to be a huge load off your mind. Wiring is next huh, now you are gonna have to play what the heck is this wire stub and where did it go before:huh: Most of my home runs are overhead and I figure yours were too. I hope you can remember what is what,good luck.:thumb:

I have wall runs, floor runs under concrete, and only about 4 overhead electrical runs that dropped down to machinery. So it won't be too bad to get it back in shape.
I was planning on moving my 2500# monster copy lathe to the other side of the shop. Now that the overhead 3-phase is toast, I'm going to move it, and run new wiring for it.
Wiring will probably take me a day I guess. The time killer will be putting up 17 new 8' lights.

Thankfully 99% of my dust collection is under concrete. Damage was limited to stub hoses and fittings.

Almost finished with the roof. Have a couple of places where the original ridge board is low on the walls, making the tin sheeting low in a few places.
I'll worry about that next spring.

A few shots of my junk piles, er, kindling piles. Theres one on every side of the shop.:eek:

Last edited:
I may have a slew of bedrocks and such for sale later on.
Thinking about selling my 78 F-100 all original stepside that I want to resto so bad.:(
I figure this is going to cost me around $10,000 before its all done:(
This building was put up 8 years before we bought the place in 1995.

At that time when I bought the house and property, I estimated the shop value to put up a new one like it without concrete was $8800.00
The trusses were mismade and under built on it.
I resupported them 4 years ago, so I could insulate the roof.
Without the insulation, my woodstove was big enough I could melt off whatever landed on the roof.
But it simply didn't work with the amount of snow and ice we had.

Hi Steve. Man I am so glad your getting it going so soon. Love the time you take to let your friends watch the progress and, if nothing more, cheer you on. I am certian that if you could move your shop to everyones area you would be overwelmed with help and could sit back and have a cold one while WE sweat.
It gives me a fuzzy feeling that even thought we might never meet and some may never see each that there is still people willing to help out their fellow man in any way they can.
Thats how Americans do it and THAT can't be beaten
Glaad to see your about to go back into the wood working bussiness rather than the construction cleanup bussiness. :thumb:
Reg

Great News, Steve. Now DON't be Doin' no more of them "Snow Dances", ya hear??:rolleyes: :D I been a thinkin', that maybe you could do like they do when they tear down sumpin' like a football stadium, or the Berlin wall, or tha like. Ya know they cut up all that scrap inta little pieces and sell em off as souvineers, so maybe u can do tha same, 'n sell em on E-bay and pay fer all O that shop redo.;) :D

Congrats on gettin' it all closed in. (That's my regional term for getting it in the dry.) You've still got a lot of work, but it's all downhill from here. :thumb: