My Shop Roof Rebuild

I heard on the news that there are miles and miles of copper wire that came down in the recent storm, and it was all cut and stolen by scrap collectors, as the price of copper right now is stupid expensive!

Good to hear you are moving forward Steve!

Cheers!

Hmmm. You may have just given me an idea there Stu.:huh:

Steves Midnight Salvage;)

I heard on the news that there are miles and miles of copper wire that came down in the recent storm, and it was all cut and stolen by scrap collectors, as the price of copper right now is stupid expensive!

Good to hear you are moving forward Steve!

Cheers!

That's not really a recent problem. Before retiring, my dad used to work for the phone company - the last 20 years in the construction department where they'd order and store those huge cable reels for wiring up whole neighborhoods. I think every year he was there, there were 2-3 breakins a year where people would cut through the chain link fence and steal miles of cable. They'd apparently strip off, cook or burn off the plastic sheathing then sell the copper to scrap yards. What a way to make a living.

Well tonight, I have a roof, I have the woodstove going, and have the radio speakers back in place.
Still tripping over things:eek: , so I'm getting some temp lights up:D

I'm repairing the inner sidewall sheeting, getting things ready for the 1/2 osb sheeting and 2x4 material for the ceiling.

It will be delivered tomorrow, along with oak and maple lumber, and maple staircase parts I ordered before all this happened.

Talked to my lumber supplier which also handles blow insulation.
I asked him to price 12" and 16" deep fill.

Almost a $1000.00 for 12" deep. Another $600.00 to go 16" deep.
12" deep will be R30, and 16" deep will be R-44:eek:
Ron told me the 16" deep would probably be overkill for a shop.
12" is going to be a whole lot more insulation that what I had.

Pro, con's on going with the 12" or 16" deep blow insulation?
Would I realize a payback in going 16"? I heat with wood, and had no problem heating with the old roof that had only 1 1/2" styro on the roof.

Almost a $1000.00 for 12" deep. Another $600.00 to go 16" deep.
12" deep will be R30, and 16" deep will be R-44:eek:
Ron told me the 16" deep would probably be overkill for a shop.
12" is going to be a whole lot more insulation that what I had.

Pro, con's on going with the 12" or 16" deep blow insulation?
Would I realize a payback in going 16"? I heat with wood, and had no problem heating with the old roof that had only 1 1/2" styro on the roof.
Steve, I have a net R value of about 25 in my ceiling, and I (mostly) heat with wood, and I am a lot further north than you, and my heating works very well. I grant you that my shop is smaller than yours, but I expect that R30 is certainly all that you need and that R44 is overkill.

Steve, I work in the HVAC business and deal alot with insulation and payback. It all depends on if you pay for the wood or not and if you do your annual wood costs. $600.00 amortized over 20 or 30 year is not much money. Insulation is fairly inexpensive and doesn't wear out or need maintenance. Are you using cellulose or fiberglass blown in. Cellulose will actually give you a higher R value per inch. I just recently insulated my ceiling with cellulose. I have 14" which is approx. R-45.

Hi Mark. The plan was to use fiberglass, the newer stuff that my supplier sells, recommends.

What I had put in my addition looks more like cotton

i have celluos

steve with wood heat and only 1.5 stryfoam before your gonna need to just use kiddln in that stove or you a gonna melt, wood heat is by far hotter than most and your heater is probally a barrel heater or somethng you rigged up.. i was told that fiberglass blown in isnt as good as cellous, most guys around me use the cellous.

Steve, Fiberglass works just as well as cellulose. It just requires a little more. I looked up the tables for the recommended attic insulation in your area and it is R-49 for the attic. Now, that is for residential home construction. Your needs may differ depending on how you heat the space and if you cool it also. The company I work for sells and install HVAC. But I always believe in building structures that minimize the need for heating or cooling. Within reason of course! :)

All good info on the insulation. Thanks!

I'll get back with me supplier and quiz him some more.

Not much on updates today.
Been working on the inner wall perimiters where the inside 1/4 osb sheeting got tore up. Putting up nailers around the perimiter for the ceiling. About ready to start hanging 2x4's on the trusses for the 1/2 osb ceiling.
Son is wiring some.
No pics as it's too dark in the shop. Have some temp works light sitting around.

Also had to shut down for a bit, as Dirty Bird Larry Meralu sent some goodies I had to take care of. :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Got enough ceiling joists up to get 20 sheets of osb on the ceiling on my main work area. Only 60 more sheets to go.
Got the lights up on that side as well, and are lite up:D :thumb:

No pics for today. I'm pooped out.

That's a lot of sheets up:) (but a lot more to go :( ).

How high is the ceiling? Are you using scafolding? Are you now working alone?

10' 10" ceiling.

Set my scaffolding up, but with two 5' sections, my nose was rubbing the ceiling:( ;)

So it's all been ladder work. My feet are now arched to conform to ladder rungs.

I was alone a couple of days, but other than that, either one of my boys or friends was here helping.
Ceiling is mostly done. About 14 sheets left to go.:thumb:
Today I'm just kinda doing general stuff. Putting things up, goofing off, resting, etc. A rest work day:huh:

Thinking about going to Lowes today and returning $345.00 worth of gold plated wiring we managed to not use.:thumb:

Need to maybe get some shelving units while I am there. I had several sets that got crushed. Not much time to really stop and make any.

Today I had had enough of the shop and everything else.

So the wife and I had a road trip this afternoon.
Took back over $400.00 worth of gold plated copper wiring that I did not need to Lowes.
Took back one of the new T-8 light fixtures to Home Depo. The ends were not in the package. So----
And they did not have another one. Seems I bought the last 17 they had.
So other than making another trip back there, I purchased 2 4' T-8's.

Nite. I'm going in.

Not much to update on my shop today.
Charles put up a few more ceiling joints while He was waiting on lacquer to dry on some drawer fronts for a vanity.
I have been busy with work. Started a new set of cabinets for a house, right in the middle of the already ongoing new house that I am doing the trimming, cabinets, and staircase.

So I'm trying to accomplish getting work done on two different jobs, plus the shop ceiling.
Hopefully this weekend we can get the ceiling wrapped up, then I will order the blo insulation.
One of the workers at the lumber yard where I have purchased all of my roof material, has told me that He and his son will come with a machine and blo the insulation for me. No charge :eek: :thumb: :D
I think I'll take him up on that offer.
He blew in the insulation on my addition 2.5 years ago and did a great job.

I did get some shelving put up the other day, and got all my drawer slides found, sorted, and put up.

Things are starting to tidy up in here.:D :D :D

Clardy, glad to see you getting some stuff built for jobs. :thumb: That's got to feel pretty good.

Remember to get enough rest though. You don't need to be getting sick or anything.

Keep on keeping on.

Karl

Steve,
Glad your getting er doon. I am sure having the shop in operation is a relief. On a side note I talked to my sister who has a place at lake of the ozarks, the troof oon their dock colapesed but fortunatly the boat was out of the water. hmmm maybe you wat to do another roofing job.. :)

Steve,
Glad your getting er doon. I am sure having the shop in operation is a relief. On a side note I talked to my sister who has a place at lake of the ozarks, the troof oon their dock colapesed but fortunatly the boat was out of the water. hmmm maybe you wat to do another roofing job.. :)

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm tired of roofs fer a while;) :D :D :D

I know some good dock builders. In fact, one of the jobs I got going, is a dock business owner.