Coop De Villa!

A really nice size run, but that's some hostile looking territory for a chicken. I hope the girls can find a bug or too in those rocks, if they don't burn their tootsies first.:thumb:

It's all we got around here! I'll be giving them some shade cloth. Works for the dogs, should work for the chickens.

There's actually a really, really small bird that has made a nest in the little rock wall there on the hill. I've watched it catch bugs and take it into the nest. When it gets into the nest, I hear it's little baby birds make noises. The bird is really small. Hopefully they'll grow up before I let the chickens loose in there.

You may want to move the latch to the top of the gate so when you go in and shut the gate, you can reach over and release the latch to get out, coop and run look great Brent:)

Very cool Brent well done. Ken that dinner call video is a hoot. Guess they dont know its not for their dinner. LOl

Looking forward to fresh eggs next time we visit Brent. :thumb:

Well, I know this has been stretching out, but that dang work thing.

Got the first line of 'de-fence' up around it. Certainly good enough that tomorrow I'll move the ladies into the coop. From what I've read, they need to be locked in there for at least a week so they recognize that as their roosting area and home so that they will go inside there at night. I plan on putting up the rest of the hardware cloth around it to keep out rodents and reptiles and some chicken wire and shade cloth across the top to keep out sun and aerial predators.

Why do I think I've gone a little overboard on this?

20150509_184940.jpg

........Why do I think I've gone a little overboard on this?

I dont think you have gone overboard but then i am biased in your favor and my Dad always said " If a job is worth doing its worth doing welll/properly/" And thats all i see a job done right.

I do think your "white" coop is a bit bright given the backdrop but then who knows how the predators will see it. Hope it aint dayglo white or those chickens will never get any sleep . :rofl:

Good job Brent just what i would do if i were to create a chicken coop.

Now what about a turkey run ......and then life would not be the same with out some ducks....i know you can do without our major foul export the famous poop everywhere Canada Geese. :D

Thanks Rob!

Actually, I made the colors on the coop match the house. Just got done putting up 1/4" and 1/2" hardware cloth all around. Now I need to figure out how to put up the aerial chicken wire to keep out the hawks/owls.

I can tell you that even in the heat of day, that coop is staying nice and cool inside with all the ventilation and insulation.

I'd put the ladies out there now, but I'm just too tired to deal with it right now, so they get one more night on the back patio!

That's looking great, Brent. :thumb: Looks like it's built Larry style...stout. I like Ted's suggestion of cables and stainless hog rings for the overhead stuff.

Yeah, I think that Ted's idea is a pretty good one.

I just ordered some netting to use for the top. I've got some cable left over from winter pool covers that should work nicely. I think I'll stick a post up in the middle to hold it up a little higher.

I'll be moving the ladies in tomorrow. It's surprising how much fertilizer 4 little chickens can generate!