Trouble uploading photos and "what posts?"

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Working from my iPad or phone I have little trouble uploading photos - multiple photos. However, from my PC it is a real chore. I can only upload one at a time and it takes about a minute or two to complete. Attempting to upload multiples just will not work. I watch the progress and it will often get to somewhere between 60% and 90%, stall, 'reconnect' and start over from 0%. It will do this three times and then give up.

I have a slow connection (7 down, 1 up), but it is the same connection I use for uploading from the iPad or iPhone. :huh: Using the latest version of chrome and I do not resize prior to attempting upload. Any ideas?

The other issue I am having is something I just noticed today. In the 'advanced' reply screen there is a note at the bottom of the reply text window that says, "You have selected 13 posts that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts".

Well, no, I don't have any selected, at least none that I know of. What's causing this?

I just uploaded the following in one step and it went through almost instantly. My speed is 25down, 2up. Chrome 66.0.3359.181

I don't see what you describe on the Advanced page.

measuretwice_zps585000b6.jpgRound-tuit1.jpgSylvester_J_Pussycat.jpg

Last edited:
Working from my iPad or phone I have little trouble uploading photos - multiple photos. However, from my PC it is a real chore. I can only upload one at a time and it takes about a minute or two to complete. Attempting to upload multiples just will not work. I watch the progress and it will often get to somewhere between 60% and 90%, stall, 'reconnect' and start over from 0%. It will do this three times and then give up.

I have a slow connection (7 down, 1 up), but it is the same connection I use for uploading from the iPad or iPhone. :huh: Using the latest version of chrome and I do not resize prior to attempting upload. Any ideas?

The other issue I am having is something I just noticed today. In the 'advanced' reply screen there is a note at the bottom of the reply text window that says, "You have selected 13 posts that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts".

Well, no, I don't have any selected, at least none that I know of. What's causing this?

Rennie, I realize the irony in asking you to post a screen shot of what you are seeing, but can you post a screen shot of the 'you have selected 13 posts' screen?

Typically, you can reply to multiple posts by clicking the little "+" icon at the lower right of the posts. Clicking multiples will mark them for commenting. Seeing exactly what is on the screen might help figure out what's going on.

As far as the uploading goes, what is the source for the images? Camera, Cellphone? Do you know what the size is of the images before you upload?

Rennie, I realize the irony in asking you to post a screen shot of what you are seeing, but can you post a screen shot of the 'you have selected 13 posts' screen?

Typically, you can reply to multiple posts by clicking the little "+" icon at the lower right of the posts. Clicking multiples will mark them for commenting. Seeing exactly what is on the screen might help figure out what's going on.

As far as the uploading goes, what is the source for the images? Camera, Cellphone? Do you know what the size is of the images before you upload?

The pictures are between 2 and 2.5 megs. Source is a file on my desktop, resident on my PC, not in the cloud.
Presentation1.jpg

I suspect the 13 posts were selected accidentally, and are scattered throughout the forums (and the years). I'd suggest starting a new post or thread, and from the Advanced editor, tell it to go ahead and insert all 13 of the selected posts. Then you can save the post (and delete it afterward if you want). That should clear out the queue. Not sure is that'll have any effect on the picture uploading issues, but it can't hurt.

Pictures in the 2 to 2.5 meg range add up pretty quickly and could be bogging down your connection or the forum server. Do you get the same results with smaller file sizes?

OK Vaughn. That cleared that up!

Have not tried loading multiple smaller files yet.

PS - My apologies in advance for all the people below that just got a notice that I have quoted one of your posts. :D

Very nice Rennie. Need to get Brent going on the one for my dad's flag (hint hint)

Yep - done that. No change as the driver was already up to date.
However, I downloaded Sketchup again and ran it through a repair. Working so far - time will tell.

I'd recommend using an actual backdrop instead of Photoshopping it in. Even in the relatively low res forum pictures, the jaggedness of the edges shows. I've used a Flotone, but there are other options. You can even print one on poster-size paper at someplace like Fedex Office.

Gradient backdrops are very commonly used for product photos, but you can also get solids, as far as I know.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=23694&fct=fct_brand_name|flotone&N=3659994758

The clock is awesome - no digs on that at all.

The presentation just looks dark to me. I do notice the jagged edge also. I think more people like light rather than dark. Idunno - just my observation

There are some tutorials and helps on ETSY about presentation.

Hence my recommendation for the Flotone backdrop. I fought and hated the wrinkles too, but the vinyl backdrop solved that issue. Mine has been used so much over the years that it's got some smudges and scratches on it now. In the past I've used the Healing Brush in Photoshop to get rid of those blemishes. When I get the shop back up and running, I'll likely invest in a new backdrop. I definitely got my money's worth out of the first one. :thumb:

Here's an old thread showing my setup:

https://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?4380-My-Photo-Setup

The article on ETSY that I was reading talked about all the same stuff. A white backdrop is not necessarily the best choice either.

By no means am I any sort of knowledgeable on the subject, but I used to sell a lot of stuff on EBAY years ago and I went through a bunch of different scenarios.

Now when I see backdrops, I just wonder why? Hence my original question.

It sounds as though you have challenged her to buy as many pillows as you have clamps.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

I would prefer to see a picture of all those pillows.

It looks like the face of the existing knob is cross grain, while the face of the replacement knob will be end grain. Even painted, it may present a different appearance, and the thin "handle" of the knob may be fragile.

Yep! Charlie's right.

Looks like broadleaf maple burl

That would be fun to go to, but I’ll be in Memphis, fun things always happen when I’m out of town :eek:

Love it. Next month we will see Rockler or Woodpecker selling the new router table insert with adaptor plates for all the different jigsaw models.
Way to go Rennie.

OK Vaughn. That cleared that up!

Have not tried loading multiple smaller files yet.

PS - My apologies in advance for all the people below that just got a notice that I have quoted one of your posts. :D

This could be my favorite post. Trying to figure out all the posts that they originated from!

Yes, about 40’+. Strong signal according to my PC.

My garage pc is about the same distance, through a couple of walls. Supposed to be a strong signal, and yet, sometimes I have issues out there.

Is it a desktop or laptop? If laptop, any way you could take it closer and see if that makes any difference?

Just wanted to chime in and see if you've gotten anywhere on this. I think Brent could be right on the distance to wifi. You can try doing an upload/download speed test (http://speedtest.net) to see if it's related to the connection. I've also just brought up a command prompt and pinging my router's address to see if there are any pings getting lost or having long response times. If you don't know your router's ip, type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and look for the gateway address for your wifi connection.

Using Chrome on Windows 10 I find that I can keep clicking the (+) sign and add multiple photos in one process:

fww-1.JPG . fww-2.JPG

Other forums allow you to just select multiple pics and drag them all at once but, this is more workable than forums that only allow one or two pics to be fully processed at a time.

Using Chrome on Windows 10 I find that I can keep clicking the (+) sign and add multiple photos in one process:

View attachment 103035 . View attachment 103034

Other forums allow you to just select multiple pics and drag them all at once but, this is more workable than forums that only allow one or two pics to be fully processed at a time.

You can also use the image icon to upload up to 10 photos at once, no need to click to get multiple uploads, see this post... https://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?35378-Upload-files-the-Easy-way

Yep, that's the way I do it.

BTW, I know some folks don't like uploading that way, but never understood why.

I've had cases when I did it that way and it causes the photo to display in a new tab instead of in a pop-up window on the same tab as the post.

CarTruckCar.jpg Big Rims.jpg

Of course this time it worked the way it should. :dunno:

I've had cases when I did it that way and it causes the photo to display in a new tab instead of in a pop-up window on the same tab as the post.

View attachment 103047 View attachment 103048

Of course this time it worked the way it should. :dunno:

I've seen it happen, but usually when I click on one of the attachments right after posting and not refreshing the page or coming back to it, but it's been a while since it happened to me too, so may have gotten fixed in the last release.

I uploaded multiple of photos to Craigslist yesterday with no trouble. So, it might be a forum thing, but I also believe my slow connection and my distance from my wifi may be contibuting factors. I can't do anything about the speed, and moving my computer closer would be a hassle. So,I was thinking about something like this. I can place it in my office (out in the shop) only feet from my PC. It also happens to be where my wireless network printer is located and there is a single port that I can use for the printer since the printer gives me even more trouble than my slow connection. Might kill two birds with one stone! (PSA - no birds were injured in the making of this post) :rofl:

Does anyone here have experience with such gadgetry?

715dWoJpoYL._SL1500_.jpg

LINK

Last edited: