Trouble uploading photos and "what posts?"

I uploaded multiple of photos to Craigslist yesterday with no trouble. So, it might be a forum thing, but I also believe my slow connection and my distance from my wifi may be contibuting factors. I can't do anything about the speed, and moving my computer closer would be a hassle. So,I was thinking about something like this. I can place it in my office (out in the shop) only feet from my PC. It also happens to be where my wireless network printer is located and there is a single port that I can use for the printer since the printer gives me even more trouble than my slow connection. Might kill two birds with one stone! (PSA - no birds were injured in the making of this post) :rofl:

Does anyone here have experience with such gadgetry?

View attachment 103074

LINK

One of these should certainly help, I've set my parents up with a couple of these for both of their summer and winter places. The one you linked is for a 2.4 Ghz router connection, the next model up looks to support 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connections, just depends on what your home router is, but I'd probably spend the extra $15 to support 5 Ghz if you can.

darren i to have the same trouble with the image icon picture uploads, windows 8 and fresh google. i noticed it after the latest software change here.

What kind of bandwidth do you have for your internet connection upload/download speeds? Can check at http://speedtest.net

Do you have issues if you re-size the images on your pc then attach?

Keep in mind that if you have lower bandwidth connections or your connection is limited by an allotment of GB's per month, uploading images to FWW to automatically resize will eat up your monthly bandwidth allotment pretty quick, it may be best to resize on your pc, then upload the smaller images.

darren i tried the test and malware came up saying it wasnt good idea.. i have dsl and the highest available speed they offer. in he past before the new operating software change it worked great. i dont use a cell phone to get on here.. just real computer. so now monthly restrictions. 8mg download and 1mg upload

darren i tried the test and malware came up saying it wasnt good idea.. i have dsl and the highest available speed they offer. in he past before the new operating software change it worked great. i dont use a cell phone to get on here.. just real computer. so now monthly restrictions. 8mg download and 1mg upload

Sorry about that, there shouldn't be any malware on that site, but could be an Ad or something your virus software doesn't like. I'd still like to know what your actual speeds are, what you pay for isn't always what you are getting depending on how your computer is connected and the hardware in it. Please let me know what this one tells you, also try running it a couple of times to get a consistent up and download speeds...

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

So are you letting the forum resize pics for you? If so, what are the original sizes of the pics that you are uploading?

I guess my point is that if you look at your pics and most are in the 1mb to 12mb range and you have a 1mb upload speed, you're going to wait a bit to upload stuff if you don't resize your images first. The forum will do it for you, but it may not be your best option and can probably expect issues from time to time, especially if you're uploading multiple files and you haven't resized them first. So if you're uploading ten 1mb files (10mb) you'll be waiting about 2 minutes on average or more with a 1mb upload speed.

Here's a time calculator if you want to do the math... http://downloadtimecalculator.com/Upload-Time-Calculator.html

Getting the actual benchmark of speed will help with doing that math as well as show whether you're getting what you're paying for. Hardware and the age of it will affect the speed as well as all the components between the computer and the provider.

Some apps, such as Tapatalk may resize on your phone or tablet for you before submitting to their service, which may be why you see faster uploads with them.

I'm a bit disconnected when it comes to upload speeds here since I have Google Fiber at home and a huge bandwidth pipe at the institute as well, so I do rely on detailed feedback from you and others to help troubleshoot issues that you are having. :wave:

ran your test 3 times and got this average/7.75 dn .83 upload/ the files are running around 1.8 to 2.4 mg and am letting the software resize.. hey dont sweat it if my current setup is the problem forget i said anything.. all i knew was it when you orignally got the resizing software with the image icon on vbullentine it was sweet and worked like a charm but after the switch is when i ran into troule but thanks for the time and help i will just read:)

ran your test 3 times and got this average/7.75 dn .83 upload/ the files are running around 1.8 to 2.4 mg and am letting the software resize.. hey dont sweat it if my current setup is the problem forget i said anything.. all i knew was it when you orignally got the resizing software with the image icon on vbullentine it was sweet and worked like a charm but after the switch is when i ran into troule but thanks for the time and help i will just read:)

So was the speed in MBps or GBps? Nothing has changed on the vbulletin software itself. Was it the switch to the new host where the issues started for you? I really would like to get things working for you, just need some feedback to try to narrow down where the issue lies. :wave:

mbps/ and it occurred after the host change

Ok, So are you getting the same as Rennie below, that it just stalls?

Working from my iPad or phone I have little trouble uploading photos - multiple photos. However, from my PC it is a real chore. I can only upload one at a time and it takes about a minute or two to complete. Attempting to upload multiples just will not work. I watch the progress and it will often get to somewhere between 60% and 90%, stall, 'reconnect' and start over from 0%. It will do this three times and then give up.

I have a slow connection (7 down, 1 up), but it is the same connection I use for uploading from the iPad or iPhone. :huh: Using the latest version of chrome and I do not resize prior to attempting upload. Any ideas?

Rennie, Can you check your speed and let me know if those are in MBps or Gbps? And let me know what you actually are getting.

Next would you guys mind try submitting a few files each that have been resized to say 150kb or so to this thread?

I'm trying to narrow down if this is an issue with size or there is a script time-out issue occurring since your upload times may take longer on your connections. :wave:

i got rid of my resizing software because didn't need it anymore will try to find another

You hopefully won't need it. It's looking like maybe it's a script time-out issue that I can probably extend a little longer to help. I'll look back through our old configs when I get home tonight and see if I can figure out what one needs fixed. Thanks for your patience. :wave:

Darren,

I'm in the same boat, speedwise, as Larry. Same on the smaller photos also.

Interestingly, I can upload larger pics via my iPhone or iPad with no issues.

test run

I attempted to upload 3 pics at the same time, 2.6, 2.4, 1.5. Failed after three tries. Upload gets to about 70%, freezes, then tells me its establishing a secure connection and starts over. After the third attempt it just stops trying.

Then I attempted 2 at a time, 2.5 & 2.6. Same result with the following differences - it reached 85%, 100% & 80% before reconnecting. Why it did not load the 100% attempt I do not know.

Finally, just one pic at 2.9. Success!
IMG_3107.jpg

Is the system timing out waiting for my slow connection?

I thought I'd jump in here with a test post using the icon.

These are unprocessed photos running between 7.5MB and 8MB when I started uploading. It took about 3 minutes for the upload to complete, then a few seconds of "waiting for familywoodworking.org". Normally, I crop and resize this type of photo before uploading to any site or emailing them.

Our Internet service from the cable company is supposed to be 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up. It's testing at about 15 down and 2 up this morning.

DSCN0576.jpgDSCN0738.jpgDSCN0737.jpgDSCN0736.jpgDSCN0735.jpgDSCN0734.jpgDSCN0732.jpgDSCN0728.jpgDSCN0727.jpgDSCN0740.jpg

Feel free to delete this to free up space, if you wish.