Time for another round of kitchen updates - glass shelves installed!

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
This round involves replacing most of the cabinets, in which the island will not be replace, so will have to patch in some flooring I have on hand. The upper and lower cabinets all go on two walls, leaving the wall of cabinets with my refrigerator. All new counter tops, back splash, and under cabinet lighting.

The existing kitchen...
2018-11-17 11.25.22.jpg 2018-11-17 11.25.31.jpg 2018-11-17 11.26.35.jpg

Here are the renderings from the cabinet shop...I'm not build, but assembling/installing them.
WRIGHT_1.jpg WRIGHT_2.jpg WRIGHT_5.jpg

She gets her farmhouse sink and large storage drawers. I'll have some organizer projects to do as well as build one wall cabinet to go between the pantry and new cabinets, and convert the cabinet under the tv to 3 large drawers rather than doors.

The old cabinets may be going to my daughter's house if she's interested in them. I'll update the configurations, do all the finish work on them, and install for her; so they will hopefully have a second life.

Last edited:
That's going to be nice. Hard to tell if you plan glass fronts on some, but if you do and want interior lighting be sure to consider glass shelving vs solid wood so the lighting can shine on everything.

Thanks all.

Very nice design - curious as to why the uppers on the stove wall do not extend further and stop short of matching the lowers.

There is a soffit that ends where there is a main support going across, which supports a sloped ceiling, so adding onto the soffit wasn't a good option. We also wanted to also keep the length of the lower cabinets the same, ending where the breakfast bar does now.
2018-11-18 14.00.06.jpg

I think the upper cabinets are ending a couple inches short of where they currently do though due to the sizes of cabinets we chose.

Getting ready for taking the old down and putting the new up. I ordered a couple of 3rd hand to help hold things in place as I get screws and nails removed.

These are the 16.8" to 22.8" set..
2018-11-20 18.34.34.jpg 2018-11-20 19.29.19.jpg
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002474UMG

I've got a set of the 28" - 60" 3rd hands on order as well, as I'll be putting up upper cabinets first on the rebuild.
31xnXhuoLlL.jpg
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAN00UU/

I'd like to get the old cabinets out with out hurting them and myself, so hoping they do the job. The upper cabinets will probably come down first since I'll be working on them over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Im betting its going to turn out beautiful.

my daughter is closing on her first home this winter.

I was there, she gave me a list of things she needed, mainly a kitchen bar/counter, new cabinet doors to change the look, and a pantry cabinet.

I was just about ready to order wood figured Id keep myself busy this winter into the spring, and then she told me last week, uh dad, hold off, we want to live there first and get a feel for things so we know exactly what we want.(now I have nothing to do all winter, so Ill be on th e lathe alot)

Im betting its going to turn out beautiful.

my daughter is closing on her first home this winter.

I was there, she gave me a list of things she needed, mainly a kitchen bar/counter, new cabinet doors to change the look, and a pantry cabinet.

I was just about ready to order wood figured Id keep myself busy this winter into the spring, and then she told me last week, uh dad, hold off, we want to live there first and get a feel for things so we know exactly what we want.(now I have nothing to do all winter, so Ill be on th e lathe alot)

Thanks Allen.

And that's probably a good tactic on your daughters part. We stood in our kitchen for a couple of hours discussing/documenting how we have actually used our kitchen over the last 8 1/2 years. From cooking, to how we clean and put things way, to where things were stored for tasks we do most often. We took that plan to the cabinet store and did our best to fit all of our ideas into the new layout. They really don't do custom cabinets there, but we came up with enough ideas and alternatives to feel confident what we bought will work. There are some customization pull-outs that I'll be doing to make things work as we planned too, so I'll get some woodworking in on this project.

Well, let the fun begin. Feels like we're packing to move at this point, a good reminder that we've just got to much crap in our lives. ;)

Stayed busy tonight cleaning out the drawers, removed almost all of the doors and hardware, removed the plate rack and it's cabinet, purged the spice cabinet, and getting ready to remove all the trim molding.
2018-11-30 22.33.26.jpg 2018-11-30 22.33.29.jpg 2018-11-30 22.33.35.jpg 2018-11-30 22.33.38.jpg 2018-11-30 22.33.42.jpg 2018-11-30 22.34.08.jpg

The cabinets are held up with some 3" screws, but not many have any thread left, so thinking that I'll just use a small hole saw and cut out the wood around them and deal with the screws after I have the cabinets down, most likely with a sawzall. ;)
2018-11-30 22.35.58.jpg

My daughter did decide she didn't want the old cabinets, so I had planned to donate them, but I'm thinking I may use several of them in my shop too.

Last edited:
The cabinets are held up with some 3" screws, but not many have any thread left, so thinking that I'll just use a small hole saw and cut out the wood around them and deal with the screws after I have the cabinets down, most likely with a sawzall. ;)
View attachment 104977.

I would try easing them out with an impact driver first. You might be pleasantly surprised. My impact driver has become my best friend for situations like this. It doesn't always work, but it works often enough to make it worth trying.

Your old cabinets are about 20 years newer (and better looking) than ours, lol. I had grand plans for replacing ours when we moved in, but getting laid off 3 weeks after closing on the house kinda changed that plan. :doh:

I ran over in between rain showers and picked up the cabinets, luckily they were wrapped up pretty tight, only the top couple of boxes got sprinkled on.
2018-12-01 11.52.51.jpg

After unloading those, I finished packing up the upper cabinets from the kitchen and started dropping the upper cabinets. I ended up having to use a 3/4" hole saw around 3 of the stripped screws to remove the cabinets, the rest came out with the impact driver. :thumb: After my wife got back from getting her natural hair color refreshed, we got the rest of the kitchen packed and started taking out the island. Looks like I'll need to weave in about 7 piece of flooring to finish off the floor where the island was.
2018-12-01 16.36.46.jpg 2018-12-01 16.36.52.jpg 2018-12-01 16.59.28.jpg 2018-12-01 19.01.41.jpg 2018-12-01 19.01.59.jpg

The third hands were a life saver, really came in handy in dropping the upper cabinets. I bought the longer kit that had a case with it, but it had extra room for the shorter ones as well.
2018-12-01 19.05.14.jpg

Your old cabinets are about 20 years newer (and better looking) than ours, lol. I had grand plans for replacing ours when we moved in, but getting laid off 3 weeks after closing on the house kinda changed that plan. :doh:

I had no issues with the old ones, but SWMBO had other plans, so just following orders. I'm sure they will look great. ;)