Jet Lathe

Gayl Beals

I got a used JML-1014-VSI. Everything seems to be working.Pulleys turn over easily, but the problem is 8amp reset pops immediately when I turn it on.With out tearing it apart I thought I would run it past.
Thanks to all.

No experience with that lathe, but my first guess would be a dead short somewhere along the line. Tracking it down would likely involve opening things up, hopefully stopping short of having to tear it completely apart.

You aren't by chance also popping a GFI circuit breaker at the same time are you? I have the same lathe and if I try and run it on a GFI protected circuit, it triggers the GFI. Runs great on non GFI circuits. It was a know problem with the lathe.

I have tore apart,and checked with ohm meter. I think motor is bad.
Thanks a bunch.Darren

No problem. The GFI Breaker is for Ground Fault Interrupter, they can be a breaker or even a plug on the circuit you're running the lathe on. They are the plugs that have the test/reset buttons on them, and don't always play nice with variable speed type tools.

I am looking at Penn State Ind. variable Speed Conversation Kit #TCLVSKIT. 1/2hp motor.
Do you any thoughts about doing this
———Thanks all——-

I am looking at Penn State Ind. variable Speed Conversation Kit #TCLVSKIT. 1/2hp motor.
Do you any thoughts about doing this
———Thanks all——-

I have thought about doing the same conversion for my Delta LA200 Midi Lathe. The main thing that has hung me up so far is the minimum RPM spec. 650 isn't slow enough for some of the things I would like to try. (Chasing threads, "cosmic" finishes, possibly elliptic turning, etc.)

Also, depending on the diameter of pieces you want to turn, the 1/2 HP spec may not provide enough "oomph" ... although that's probably not an issue for my 10" lathe.

I have thought about doing the same conversion for my Delta LA200 Midi Lathe. The main thing that has hung me up so far is the minimum RPM spec. 650 isn't slow enough for some of the things I would like to try. (Chasing threads, "cosmic" finishes, possibly elliptic turning, etc.)

Also, depending on the diameter of pieces you want to turn, the 1/2 HP spec may not provide enough "oomph" ... although that's probably not an issue for my 10" lathe.

The lathe was a freebie. I am not sure about the speed control, but the motor is burned up.I thinking of having the electric place give me a quote for rebuilding.I feel 1/2 hp is enough for the mostly what I turn,or Penn State Ind kit.
Thanks Kerry

Gayl, if you are talking about this conversion. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html.
Yes, I converted one of the schools Jet mini lathes with this. Quite simple conversion and depending on what pulley you put the belt on determines your slow to slowest rate and obviously using the different pulleys you can get quite the range of speeds. I was leery of it at first thinking it wasn't going to hold up, but it is our demonstration lathe and the advanced kids really like turning small bowls on it. We have had it for probably 5-6 years now. I would say go for it. It has held up with student daily use.

Gayl, if you are talking about this conversion. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html.
Yes, I converted one of the schools Jet mini lathes with this. Quite simple conversion and depending on what pulley you put the belt on determines your slow to slowest rate and obviously using the different pulleys you can get quite the range of speeds. I was leery of it at first thinking it wasn't going to hold up, but it is our demonstration lathe and the advanced kids really like turning small bowls on it. We have had it for probably 5-6 years now. I would say go for it. It has held up with student daily use.

That is probably the route I am going to do. I will stay with pulleys it came with.
Thanks Jon