Just fired the concrete guy

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Turns out he can't read plans. He doesn't listen. He has missed every deadline HE set. And he keeps increasing the cost because of things he didn't take into consideration. And I foolishly gave time a hefty downpayment I'll never see back.

Major set back and I am profoundly frustrated. To truly express myself here would cause the forum guidelines to implode!

Sorry you ran into snags with the concrete contractor.

You can always take him to small claims court if you can show he didn't satisfy the terms of his contract or follow-on change orders. Might even get him to cough up some refundage to avoid the hassle.

Another option is to see if any of the local media/news groups have a consumer help program you could get help from. Sometimes bad (or threat thereof) publicity motivates bad actors to mend their ways.

Also, register a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and local social media to help future potential customers beware.

Jim

Last edited:
Aw man, I'm sorry to see this. I don;t have much advice to offer beyond what Jim's already said above, but I hope you can get things back on track as quickly ans smoothly as possible.

This is always my main fear in hiring out work. There just doesn't seen to be any solid skill set out there anymore. You find a guy who can pour mud but, that is the extent of his skill. Without supervisory assistance they are a train wreck. I'm sorry for your frustration an thank you for sharing your experience. It will help me sharpen my focus when farming out work in the future.

Working on an equitable solution to this. He will have one, count'em, one, opportunity to return my money. On Thursday I will be at the beauty shop for a hair cut. Round one of informing the public. Don't underestimate the power of a woman about where money gets spent. On Friday I will have an article for the local paper about newcomers to town and the difficulty of being scammed by locals who think we are stupid. The TV guy is in Phoenix, 60 miles away, so unlikely for that to work unless they pick up on the trials of a newcomer to the community angle. Investigating violations of contractual law with regard to this and will pursue the legal avenues as well. And he advertises on Facebook. Think I will comment on his posts. Only relating my experience and offering advise on how to evaluate vendors.

Only getting warmed up. He will know he messed with the wrong person.

Last edited:
Round 2. He has been messaging me since 5 this morning. First conciliatory. Then threatening. Now he has resorted to bullying. Like THAT'S going to work.

If you're not already on the NextDoor app, get signed up. It will take a bit to get your invite as it sends through the mail, but a good place to warn others about local services.

There is a problem. He may be too stupid to know he's been hit! The only way to get his attention will be in the pocketbook and I'm working on that.

When I am severly wrong by a contractor, I step back, take a deep breathe, rant and rave out loud for five minutes, then the look up and say:"God this is your problem" to fix as he can fix it 1000000 times better than I can or the courts. (7 times 70 forgiveness....)

Really case in point:
My shop that was built in 2007, the general contractor hire some half wits to do the slab 24'x50' monolithic turn down slab. No proper foundation prep compaction or expansion joints. (the slab is cracking in multiple places now)
I commented on it when they were doing it they ignore it. 5 weeks later the owner of the GC that I met with died of a massive brain hemorrige..........on Christmas eve.... connection between the two, who knows, I just figure it was HIS money being spent on the slab and was the one being ripped off and not me.

This guy is leaving a paper trail documenting all my grievances. I really don't expect him to return my money as he runs his business on the Ponzi scheme. What I do hope to do is scare him out of his wits and generally let the community know how incompetent and dishonest he is.

I have already engaged another guy who will be here in an hour.

This guy is leaving a paper trail documenting all my grievances. I really don't expect him to return my money as he runs his business on the Ponzi scheme. What I do hope to do is scare him out of his wits and generally let the community know how incompetent and dishonest he is.

I have already engaged another guy who will be here in an hour.

Glad to see things are moving forward. :thumb: The guy will get his comeuppance. :yes: