Independence Day 2019 - What's Cooking?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing as how July 4th is often a day for backyard cooking, I figured I'd see what other are planning to cook tomorrow.

I've got a nice-sized brisket that'll get some rub on it this afternoon, and then put into the smoker early tomorrow morning. I'm also planning to do some form of BBQ beans and smoked mac & cheese. Probably just pick up a tub of store-bought coleslaw to go with. So far we're only expecting one guest, since everyone else we've invited already had other plans. I suspect I'll be eating lots of leftover brisket for my lunches next week, lol.

So...whatcha got cooking?
chef.gif
eating.gif

A bumper crop of large jalapenos means I'll do another batch of Atomic Buffalo T's, and while the smoker is going I'll throw in a pork butt for three hours to get a nice smoke ring and then sous vide it the rest of the way. I tried that last time and it came out great with a lot less need to tend the smoker for most of the day. The only small problem was it came out so fall off the bone tender that I couldn't get it back in the smoker or oven to crisp up the bark. Really didn't miss it though. Wish I could get the hang of brisket, that one is usually a disaster for me.

Bobbie decided - insisted, actually - that we have spaghetti with her home-made sauce, garlic bread and a nice, big salad with lettuce, tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots and cheddar cheese. Might not sound traditional, but I do smoked this-and-that year-round, so . . . :)

I've got a bunch of brats mostly that I was planning to cook, but some ABT do sound yummy and keto friendly. ;) Was also going to try to make some yeast risen cinnamon buns using the carbquik mix tomorrow.

I may defrost some brisket, pork butt, and pork tenderloin and try to get it all smoked this weekend.

Smoking up a pork butt right now for tomorrows 4th party at the neighbors. Other than that, maybe some hotdogs on friday, lol.

...get a nice smoke ring and then sous vide it the rest of the way...

I was considering trying that just to lessen the amount of babysitting needed, but my FoodSaver vacuum sealer isn't working. Seals great, but it doesn't suck. I'm soon to be in the market for a replacement, but want one that won't break the bank. (This one was a refurb from Meh.com that cost me all of about $20.) Any suggestions?

I was considering trying that just to lessen the amount of babysitting needed, but my FoodSaver vacuum sealer isn't working. Seals great, but it doesn't suck. I'm soon to be in the market for a replacement, but want one that won't break the bank. (This one was a refurb from Meh.com that cost me all of about $20.) Any suggestions?

hook you shop vac up to it....:)

Momma says hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, 3 bean salad potato chips, watermelon, ice cream cookies and what ever else is left in the house. Don't think family will go away hungry. Son and family over so should be noisy and fun.
Everyone have a safe and happy Fourth of July. We also get to break in new deck and gazabo just finished.
David

My Food Saver is still going strong, but doesn't have the capacity for large pork butts. For sous-vide I usually end up double bagging in 2 gallon zip locks using the displacement method. When the Food Saver gives up the ghost I'm dropping the big bucks and getting a chamber vac. Food Saver just doesn't handle moist foods all that well. That chamber vac will have to be one of those tools that lives in the garage that I've "had for a long time". :)

We are having our traditional hot dogs with all the fixin's; onions, mustard, slaw and our homemade hot dog chili. Hot dog chili for us is very different than regular chili. It is much finer and somewhat soupy so that it doesn't fall off the bun. It does fall off of course but the intent is not to have it in your lap. It is so good with just mustard between two slices of bread that sometimes it gets eaten that way during the cooking.

Our hot dog chili is a mixture of ground beef, hot pork sausage, onions, chili powder, salt and pepper cooked slowly for hours and then blended with an immersion blender until it is fine as we like.

As a side we will have potato salad with onions and green peas sweetened up with some of our homemade pickle relish.

This one isn't at all reasonable, price wise, but I had gone through 2 or 3 of the food savers and got tired of messing with them not evacuating the air from the bags.

This one, I assure you, really sucks.

I'm using it today to bag up the pork butt I smoked yesterday so I can slow sous vide it up to final temp. Going for 195 and will just let it hang out for a while till I'm ready to take it over to the neighbors. At that time, I'll shred it up and toss it in a hot skillet to get some crispy bits here and there. I'll be serving it on potato slider buns, with bbq sauce on the side and dill pickles and slaw.

sucker.jpg

Traditional bbq burgers hotdogs sausage and chicken with all the side salads and relish
But I didn't care got to spend the day with my great niece and then fireworks on the Hudson river

Attachments

• 5F9723A3-DE07-4E65-8E1A-6C63B0913C45.jpg
    5F9723A3-DE07-4E65-8E1A-6C63B0913C45.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 25
Traditional bbq burgers hotdogs sausage and chicken with all the side salads and relish
But I didn't care got to spend the day with my great niece and then fireworks on the Hudson river

You've got a great smile, Allen. :thumb: Looks like your grand niece was having a fun time, too.

Late to the party here, but I noticed that sealer reco above and want to say thanks. I also have a cheapie Foodsaver, and 1/2 the time it doesn't seal the bag. As for the 4th, I royally screwed up the baby back ribs in the smoker. The bad weather we've had this year (lots of rain/storms) made this the first time I pulled it out...I must have forgot everything I knew about using it.

We had a similar day. Lots of rain all day. The pellets got wet on the smoker twice from some pretty good down pours, so had to restart the smoker twice. I don't usually smoke in bad weather, but was sunny when I started, had a couple of different waves of storms come through unexpectedly.