Good Morning!

• Thread starter Deleted at User's Request
  • Start date
D

Deleted at User's Request

Hello everyone,
My name is Kaitlyn and I am new to the world of dust collection and woodworking.
I currently work in marketing at an dust collector filter company, and I can say that it's a whole new ballgame!
I have a degree in Creative Media Production and am new to the world of manufacturing, dust collection, and woodworking in general.

I'm not here to spam or push sales on anyone because people/companies have been banned from forums just for pushing sales onto people. (Spammers :p)
That's not why I'm here. I would love to connect with some of you to learn just what woodworking is all about. See what the industry is like and see just what goes into building something with your own two hands!
My late grandfather was a carpenter and builder himself.

I've noticed there are a lot of talented builders on here. Is anyone working on any projects currently? I would love to see some pics! :)

Also since I'm new sorry if I ask too many questions, I'm just trying to learn.
Thanks!

Welcome to the clubhouse, Kaitlyn! :wave: We've got a pretty good mix of skill (and activity) levels here. Speaking for myself, I'm not doing as much woodworking these days as I used to, but even those of us who aren't out in the shop every day quite likely have experiences that may be helpful to you.

You're taking the right approach by trying to get to know your target market better. I used to work for a software company that catered to system managers. We had a company policy that said the marketing staff needed to know what system managers eat for breakfast. We'd take a random customer out to lunch once a month, but not talk about our products at all. Instead, we'd ask them all sorts of other questions, ranging from what challenges they faced in their jobs to where they saw the industry going in the future. And yes, we'd ask them what they ate for breakfast. :)

Feel free to ask any questions...we'll usually have lots of answers, and some of them might even be right, lol. :D

Welcome and like others have said lots of talent here and everyone can contribute as well as asking question. Remember No question id a dumb question so if you are confused or feel the need ask away and no one will laugh or make fun this is a real family here.... BTW I had an egg betters omelette and a piece of ham with my coffee for breakfast.

Welcome Kaitlyn, another old person that has cut a board or two. and as others have said you will be treated appropriately here.. no bashing of any kind is allowed.

Welcome to our Family, Kaitlyn! :wave:

Dust collection is very important to most of us, of course. I have an extensive system in my shop that has helped me a lot in the furniture builds I've done!!

Wow! Everyone here is so nice. I definitely feel welcome! :)

...I would love to connect with some of you to learn just what woodworking is all about. See what the industry is like and see just what goes into building something with your own two hands!...

There are 'work-in-progress' posts on here fairly often, and loads of completed projects posted as well.

Check out the "Flatwork Project Showcase," the "Hand Tool Project Showcase," or the "Lathe Project Showcase" sections. Many of the threads show 'step-by-step' aspects of the projects.

Don't be embarrassed about asking questions. We all started somewhere, and even the most experienced folks here often ask questions or solicit advice from the others. You'll find we're a friendly and helpful bunch. :thumb:

Wow! Everyone here is so nice. I definitely feel welcome! :)

As others have stated, welcome to the Family. Your first post is spot on correct to explain your position and needs/wants. The talent here is amazing. The sharing of ideas and solutions is above explanation. This is a truly dedicated group of individuals that work with wood in one fashion or another but also have other talents. Feel free to ask away.

Welcome Kaitlyn. This a very welcoming site. Myself, while not a regular poster, I do linger on the side lines. I visit regularly to pick up tips. If you have a question feel free to ask.

Welcome to the forum Will. Hope you enjoy your stay. Good to see someone so young and in the industry on a information gathering exercise. Hope you get the data you are after.
Cheers.

Welcome to the forum Will. Hope you enjoy your stay. Good to see someone so young and in the industry on a information gathering exercise. Hope you get the data you are after.
Cheers.

Thanks Thomas! Even though the company I work doesn't sell directly to end-users I wanted to learn more about the industries that benefit from dust collection.
I know woodworking is one, and I have been researching. There are a lot of woodworkers out there who want to make sure they have proper dust control in their shop. Especially in terms of their health.
Even though I'm young and spry , I hope to connect with all of you. So far, everyone has been wonderful on this forum! :)

Kaitlyn,

The best way to learn about woodworking is to do it. Get yourself some good (not cheap) hand tools (but not the really expensive stuff either) and watch some YouTube videos about making some simple projects, then try doing it yourself. You only need to buy the tools necessary to make that first project. You could also find a nearby woodworker who will help you learn the basics. The more you try to do and the more you learn, the easier it will become. Only buy what you need to make the simple project. Then when you want to start a little bit more involved project you will only need to buy what you still don't have to complete that project. Again, the more you do, the better you will get at it.

Go back and edit your profile, so your location shows in the top right of your posts. Maybe one of us is close enough to mentor you as you begin. I have done this many times, and I am helping another train driver get started in woodworking right now.

I started my grand daughter working with me in my shop when she was 7 (lost her dad at 2). She is now 20 and doesn't visit grandpa much any more, but she wanted stall gates for a 4 stall horse barn and wanted me to buy her plywood for her gift last Christmas. In January, I not only bought her the plywood, but the hinges and latches, and then took my tools to the horse barn and kind-of supervised her while she used the tools to make two stall doors. I just suggested how to do it and held the other end of long boards, etc. and she did all the work. Her years of coming to grandpa's shop had made her a very capable woodworker. She just had never tried to tackle anything quite this large before, or deal with a 100 year old horse barn that had absolutely nothing even close to being square in it's construction. The barn isn't for horses now. She is building a herd of goats, now totaling 7. I suspect that she is going to ask for more plywood this coming Christmas, so we can make the other two stall doors.

Charley

That is such a sweet story about you and your grand daughter.
And the fact that she was able to make stall doors is awesome!

I have thought about picking up a new hobby. Maybe that hobby could be woodworking.