Instant Pot

When we do pork butt, we cut up in large hunks then dear in stock pot. Then cook for 90 minutes and done. Comes out as well as smoker, but without the bark pieces. Very good. Really works good in winter when smoking is kinda on hold.
David

When we do pork butt, we cut up in large hunks then dear in stock pot. Then cook for 90 minutes and done. Comes out as well as smoker, but without the bark pieces. Very good. Really works good in winter when smoking is kinda on hold.
David
I will chunk it up next time. I cooked for 90 minutes the first time, each time I'd pull it out I'd pull off a little, then put it back in for another 30 minutes. The last of it was falling apart in the cooker, had to use a spoon with a strainer to get the last of it out.

So tell me about these instant pots. We have an old pressure cooker that is getting more and more difficult to seal even though we were able to buy a new gasket. We also have a Crock Pot slow cooker which I like to cook in.
Is an instant pot similar to one or both? Are crock pot recipes transferable to an instant pot?

My crock pot is getting contankerous....I think the thermostat is not accurate any longer. I need a replacement.

I've got the 8 quart version. It's a bit of a combination of crock pot, pressure cooker, and induction cooker. There are options to saute food, prior to adding all the other ingredients to pressure cook. The saute/induction cooker heats up the inner pan quite quickly. Once the saute is done, I'll add the meat and usually a couple of cups of broth. You can either then slow cook or pressure cook from this point.

The cooker has a timer to set for the amount of time you want, then it can drop down to either turn off or keep warm. Pressure will release naturally, but can also open the quick release valve if you're needing to get dinner on the table.

The inner pot does come out for easy cleaning or even swap out for other dishes.

I'm pretty new to it, so I'd be interested to hear how others are cooking with it.

In spite of the instant pot still love the smoker. In the pot we use liquid smoke to get the flavor, again no bark. This afternoon fired up the smoker as it was in the high 50s here and did pork chops. Cut 1 inch thick and coated with good stuff and hour and half done to a tee. Each has a good place in my heart.
David

I like the way that pork butt came out. Around here, using the smoker in the winter just isn't any fun so I may have to try that. What I have done is cook my ribs in the Instant Pot (15 minutes seems enough) and then transfer them to the Weber charcoal where I smoke them about 30 minutes, then sauce and wrap them in foil with some apple juice for a little longer (maybe an hour or so) and get acceptable smoked ribs out of the deal. so this has turned out to be my winter recipe for ribs.

So tell me about these instant pots. We have an old pressure cooker that is getting more and more difficult to seal even though we were able to buy a new gasket. We also have a Crock Pot slow cooker which I like to cook in.
Is an instant pot similar to one or both? Are crock pot recipes transferable to an instant pot?

My crock pot is getting contankerous....I think the thermostat is not accurate any longer. I need a replacement.

Mike do a search on youtube for sweetsavant and/or The Salted Pepper or Cooking with Doug they all give a review of the Ninja Foodi and the Instana Pot. I bought the 8qt Ninja Foodi and love it. It is an Air fryer, Pressure cooker, broiler. Sear/ Saute, Slow cooker etc. I am cooking everything in it. Love how it makes wings from frozen to ready to eat in about 30 min.