Barn Door Project

I ran over and got more materials to get started on the side window.

The window won't be opening or supporting anything, so just did some simple butt joints with biscuits.
2020-02-29 15.47.50.jpg
2020-02-29 15.48.01.jpg

I had just finished gluing up when the grand kids arrived, so letting it cook overnight, then will clean up both sides and router in the rabbets for the glass.
2020-02-29 16.11.49.jpg

Today I unclamped the frame and did a test fit, cleaned up and sanded, rabbets routed, corners squared up, and glass installed.
2020-03-01 17.13.45.jpg

2020-03-01 20.25.03.jpg

Next up with be framing window/door openings, installing window stop, and painting the frame. Will install the window after and decide whether we're painting the door/window or doing a clear coat on them.

Interesting handle on your wooden mallet! Looking good!
Thanks!

Yeah, the mallet was a xmas gift off of my amazon wish list from the kids. I try to put a few $10 - $15 items in the list and it was one of them. They seemed to have made the handle longer to balance weight with head. I can't say that I'm in love with that one, but I figured I can always use a few extra mallets around the shop.

Thanks! Yeah, the mallet was a xmas gift off of my amazon wish list from the kids. I try to put a few $10 - $15 items in the list and it was one of them. They seemed to have made the handle longer to balance weight with head. I can't say that I'm in love with that one, but I figured I can always use a few extra mallets around the shop.

From what I saw, the reason I said anything, looked to me like a hammer handle inserted backwards. Figured you made it yourself.

I still haven't got the framing for the door installed yet. I've been trying to figure out an issue with the door. What will be the handle side seems to have a bow to the stile piece, which pulls it out about 1 1/2" at the bottom. I didn't really notice it until I got to laying out where the trim was going to be and noticed it wasn't quite right.

My attempt to correct the bow will be scabbing a 1" x 2" rectangular tube to the stile to pull it out, it will run the full height of the door. It also will double as where the handle on that side of the door attaches. I bent one up out of some rebar and welded it.
2020-03-11 21.13.54.jpg

My attempt to correct the bow will be scabbing a 1" x 2" rectangular tube to the stile to pull it out, it will run the full height of the door. It also will double as where the handle on that side of the door attaches. I bent one up out of some rebar and welded it.
Well, if that doesn't straighten it out it is way beyond fixing!

Well, it didn't completely take the twist out, about half of it probably, but its much better than it was. There will be a slot where I'll trim the opening for the door to slip into, I can easily push it to meet the lights I made for those now, so I"m happy with the fix. The grand kids played with the door quite a bit, seems to roll just fine. ;)
2020-03-14 17.59.17.jpg 2020-03-15 12.57.49.jpg

I have all the frame pieces cut out, just need to make a couple of dados/rabbets and can get started on install of it, though I may paint the boards first then just do some touch-ups after install.

Tonight I finished up the door framing and installing the window. After 3 days of her working upstairs and me downstairs and each of us on the phone at different and same times, it became a priority to get the areas closed off from one another. ;)
2020-03-18 21.47.48.jpg

2020-03-18 21.54.06.jpg

2020-03-18 21.57.57.jpg

I think she's decided to leave the window and door natural and the frame will get painted. I'm also going to pickup another piece of steel for the other side of the door. When I had it off I could see it was bowing as bad, if not worse, than the side I already fixed.

"After 3 days of her working upstairs and me downstairs and each of us on the phone at different and same times, it became a priority to get the areas closed off from one another. ;) "

That's exactly why my office is at one end of the house and LOML's office is at the other end of the house...lol.
Looks great Darren.

At least it's bowing away from the wall :)

The left side (with the steel brace) is pretty straight now, but was bowing out at the bottom. The right side has just as much bow as the other, but bows in the opposite direction. It is touching/riding on the shoe molding at the bottom, while when open, the left side is about 1 1/2" away from the shoe molding, which the right side is pushing out.

I mentioned on the Friday thread that we had a friend that was out of work for a few weeks come and do some painting for us. He had sat at home for 3 weeks, so figured we were somewhat safe to be exposed to one another. My wife decided to paint the door and window. I think they came out pretty good.
2020-05-08 09.04.02-1.jpg
2020-05-08 09.08.38.jpg

I did need to put another 1 x 2 piece of rectangular steel on the other side of the door to fix the bow. Took out all but about 1/4" from going into the door pocket, but have taught my wife to just push it over with her foot and it slides right in. You dont' really notice it, at all, with the door open.

BTW, The door has helped with the sound since my wife and are both home and on calls most of the day. Also allows us to close it and help with heating/cooling on warm/cool days.