Vanity of vanities! All is vanity.

Moving along well Rennie. The drawer-lock is my go-to drawer joint in most cases, Quick, nice looking, self-squaring and very reliable. Question on the table extrusions (Kreg, I think) . . . Do you find them useful beyond the pocket-hole joinery sort of thing? Do you use them for stops, squaring and so forth?

I'm planning a rolling table for the new shop. In typical Bradley-fashion I am trying to make it as useful as possible without turning it into a Rube Goldberg monstrosity. One of the things I had considered was t-track or dovetail grooves (for Match-fit clamps and stops) in a pattern on the top. Your thoughts?
It is the Kreg tabletop that I built a cabinet for a few years ago. I do use the tracks for pocket holes but also for other clamping needs. Scraping, light chisel work and such. I have used the accessories provided for squaring but not often. I also use them to clamp down my silicone sanding pad.

I have been planning on building a roll around table/bench too. A year or so ago I happened on a sale of 1.25” thick Formica clad table top at Menards and also purchased, on sale, several lengths of rockier universal T track. The plan, so far, is to in lay two from end to end and two from side to side. Now all I need to do is build a structure to hold them up.

Retrieved the painted parts on Sunday and started putting things together with the face frames. First order of business was to make some pads for my clamps. A piece of double sided tape and some old flannel sheet was all that was needed to fill the bill.

69CF4745-F36C-4CAC-BF36-2473954BB014.jpeg

5A378E69-54E5-4E36-B2F9-3B4718026C17.jpeg
I think I got enough clamps on it. The outer perimeter is held in place with pocket screws, biscuits align and secure the inner members.
CE40A9A1-4B98-4B9A-873B-855E92C5EA04.jpeg

Finished!!! Customer will pick up tomorrow.

Two things I learned on this job. 1. I'm likely to shy away from case work like this unless I am hungry for work. 2. No more painted work - not worth the hassle.

Although the 'look' come right out of the listings for some of the big box versions these are custom and have some features not available in the stores. Drawers are solid 5/8" hard maple. Undermount soft close slides and soft close hinges. Drop down stainless trays in front of the sinks and additional drawer space by adding trays or splitting drawers behind a larger face. Also, the trash can drawer. Often seen in kitchens, not so much in bathrooms. The backs are removable to facilitate drilling for plumbing.

Hope the customer is pleased!

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Wow, those did turn out great! I like the trash pull out, may consider doing that to the other side of our vanity, I never use the two bottom drawers on that side. My wife's side has the hot curler/blow dryer pullout.
2013-07-11 21.09.33.jpg

Well, Rennie might have been a pain in the neck. but it sure came out looking nice!!

I agree on painting, but that pain job looks great from here, and I really like the detailing on the interior bits. First class piece of work.

Two things I learned on this job. 1. I'm likely to shy away from case work like this unless I am hungry for work. 2. No more painted work - not worth the hassle.

Whew! Customer was super pleased. Paid in full and a deposit coming for the next job - an entire bedroom set. :bliss:

I have to ask ... how much of the new job is expected to fit in Category 1 and Category 2? (And how hungry are you? ;))

I have to ask ... how much of the new job is expected to fit in Category 1 and Category 2? (And how hungry are you? ;))
OK - the bedroom is case work, but not the face frame type of the vanities. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Face frame inset is a bit of a hassle. The bedroom set is brazilian cherry. Clear finish, no paint. Yep, kinda hungry.

Those came out beautifully Rennie. A stellar job on all facets of the job. Lots of cool custom features and it sounds like the client agrees; great work. It also sounds like you are getting a good momentum going for 'retirement'. 👍 I am with you on the things you learned on this build. I had a similar experience a while back.

There are people who have well developed methods for making kitchen and bath items and I should leave that work to them. I even dread a rebuild on my own guest and #2 bath waiting down the line for me :). As to painted items; if I can't do it with a rattle can, I kindly (and properly) steer the client to someone who does that sort of thing well.

The wife and I were having a 'buy versus build' discussion on the new dining table last night. We have a joking division of ownership/management around here; I get the shop, she gets the house. This means I make sure she gets whatever makes her happy (my favorite job BTW). The table she wants is outside what I would enjoy spending my shop time on. Life is short; I try to avoid having to do things I don't want to do anymore :D.