Live Edge Table

I've only used thin CA glue with grounds, but I put some glue in the crack, pack it with grounds and then add more CA glue. Sand it right away so the dust fills the small voids. Repeat if needed. I would think with epoxy you'd mix it together first, but no experience so not sure.

well my idea of joinery on this is simple, 3/16" plate steel cut to shape and then attached to both the legs and top. small profile and allows the look to maintain clean. also will be easy to break down for the shipping or moving by the new owner
That ought to work quite well. Do you plan on using one large piece, or a smaller piece for each leg? I'd think that pieces maybe one inch (per side) wider than each leg, and attached with maybe four screws per side, would make a very sturdy attachment.

The times I've used coffee for fill I've mixed the grounds with the epoxy first. I found I like the look of instant coffee crystals more than real coffee, too. You might want to experiment a bit with different materials.

well my idea of joinery on this is simple, 3/16" plate steel cut to shape and then attached to both the legs and top. small profile and allows the look to maintain clean. also will be easy to break down for the shipping or moving by the new owner

I was thinking a T plate the top of the plate inset and screwed to the underside of the top and the leg of the T set into a groove cut in the legs and through bolted. It wouldn't have to be very long on the leg side to hold I don't think.

ryan kinda like a keyhole setup for screws? i was thinking on something like that prior to coming up with this.. i feel this will hold them solid for sure.. and wont stand out as a objectionable piece.. if they get on there knees to look they must have lost something or hanky panky going on:)

Larry, I was thinking something kind akin to this, although it wouldn't have to be nearly as robust (I'm having a hard time finding a picture of the one I think I've seen.. although I'm pretty sure I've seen them at the hardware store). The short bit would be inset into the top and the long bit (bit not this long heh) would be set into the leg.

1585165810272.png

Ryan, a simple plate would do, too. Size the plate 1" or so bigger in each direction than the end of the leg that's attaching to the table top. Attach the plate to the top of the leg, and then attach the plate to the bottom of the table top. Super quick basic sketch:
Table Leg.jpg

Vaughn I was wondering about attaching the plate into the end grain of the leg? I guess the legs Larry has are pretty sturdy. You could also put in a couple of cross grain dowels as accent pieces for the screws to bite into...

Vaughn I was wondering about attaching the plate into the end grain of the leg? I guess the legs Larry has are pretty sturdy. You could also put in a couple of cross grain dowels as accent pieces for the screws to bite into...
Or use big ol' lag screws with shallow holes drilled into the table top to clear the hex heads so the plate will sit flat.

i am not a copy cat! Mr Kaminski.. i had live edge slabs before they were cool. and did some projects with them. i am more creative than making bird houses because mr jones did. so thanks for your thoughts.

Rennie all three legs are made from the same cut off.
Jonathan the leg attachment is under discussion i have a method in mind but i am looking to keep it simple and easy to knock down for transport
this top has a great story behind it (John Daugerty) and has great spaulting and figure on the top.. it WILL not be painted:)
Larry.. I surely could have worded my comment better. I am not calling you a copycat, but using the term in general. My apologies to you. I do like the natural legs, a lot, but they look heavy, as in weight.

the plate method is what i am doing. as for the dowels for anchoring the screws into is a good idea but i dont see how to disguise them in the legs.
You should be fine with the screws into the end grain, the table is sitting on the legs and the only real job for the screws is to keep the thing from sliding off the legs.