There goes my weekend

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Well, I was going to build drawers this weekend but the woodworking spirits had other plans. Right in the middle of planing down all that nice hard maple I heard a screeching sound coming from Lucy. I shut everything down, pulled off my earmuffs and gave her a quick on-off so I could hear it uninhibited. Sure enough, sounded like a bearing. I managed to get everything dismantled and there were the bearings escaping from their cage. :bang:

I was able to get the front plate off the motor but only by separating the outer and inner races. It appears that the inner race is fused to the armature shaft. So, I figured the armature needs to come out so I can take it someplace to have that remedied, but I can't figure out how to remove the pulley from the other end. Something I want to do since I will replace both bearings.

Fortunately the bearings are not expensive - under $20 each. I just need to get the old ones off first.

Any suggestions?

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Last picture, is that the pulley you need to pull? If so, are the two holes threaded? If not, purely a guess, a 1/4 x 20 tap and create threads and use a briggs and Stratton flywheel puller.

stick the whole thing in the freezer for several hour (overnight would be preferred) then try to get the pulley off the metal will contract and you might be able to get the pulley off.
On the submarine we used to hit em with the CO2 fire extinguisher if we were in a hurry.

Here is what came to mind without knowing the distance between the unthreaded holes. https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-19203-Flywheel-Puller/dp/B005F6PT2S

Here is a more generic one that offers more lateral positioning for the two bolts. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-45000-...sed-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=15708901

Another style of puller. Can use the two opposing slots for this purpose. https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-3900-S...6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1587770412&sr=1-16
I’ll check these out. Thanks.

Once you figure out the proper puller to grip the pulley while pushing on the shaft, do what Don said, but when you take it out of the freezer heat the pulley with something like a mini-torch and then try to pull it. The shaft should have contracted, and the warm pulley should expand, making it as loose as it will ever get.

Rennie, maybe a different approach, getting the race off the shaft on the other side. The auto parts store might have a bearing puller set that looks like this.. Those little clamshell pieces should be able to slip behind the race and the puller will pull it off. Of course a slit into the race wiould also do it, but the clearances look pretty tight. Regardedless, best of luck getting it resolved.

The picture of the armature at ereplacement parts (item 221) shows threads on one end, and what looks like a milled flat on the other end. It's not a great picture, but the only one I could find.

Rennie, I may be totally crazy but is there any chance the pulley is threaded onto the shaft? Those two holes for some type of spanner wrench to turn it? Just thinking out of the box.
The picture of the armature at ereplacement parts (item 221) shows threads on one end, and what looks like a milled flat on the other end. It's not a great picture, but the only one I could find.
Winner winner...

I believe you are correct and, honestly, I thought that might be the case as soon as I saw those two holes but my experience with electric motors is slim and was not sure I was interpreting them correctly.

I may give the bearing race a shot and try to get that off, but I lack the correct tool for the pulley. My thought, though this could change, is to wait ill the bearings show up and take the entire mess to a local motor repair and have them remove the pulley and replace the bearings, lube, clean, and test. Depends on how bored I get in the mean time.

wait ill the bearings show up and take the entire mess to a local motor repair and have them remove the pulley and replace the bearings, lube, clean, and test.

We woodworkers are a clever, handy lot. Still there are plenty of jobs, even though I could probably get through them, that I prefer to take to someone who "does this all day". Just as in our craft, there is a lot to be said for the experience of repetition.