One old garden tool makes another - the garden hoe

My grandfather never let a broken handle result in a tool resting in his barn. He would go down into the woods and cut a hickory sapling about the right size and bring it back to his shop. He used a spoke shave and a draw knife to clean off the bark and get it down to the proper size. I have one of his handles in a four tine cultivator and both the spoke shave and draw knife. They work as well today as they did however many years ago he bought them.

I don't believe I have ever seen a shovel repurposed in quite that way but it is a good idea.

I don't believe I have ever seen a shovel repurposed in quite that way

Neither had I, but it was bent up real bad and the rust was such that it wasn't structural as a shovel.. but a hoe has lower strength requirements, at least where it was weak so it seemed like a plausible idea. I'm still kind of tweaking the angles on it... But seems to work moderately well.

He used a spoke shave and a draw knife to clean off the bark and get it down to the proper size

Add in a splitting wedge to knock the chunk out of the tree and an axe for rough out and there we are :)