Sweet Bedroom Suite

Bed construction complete!

The corners of the base are held together with counter connectors. These are a big improvement over ones I've used in the past as they tighten using a 5mm allen wrench. Beats the heck out of the old captured hex nut!

IMG_0446.jpg

One challenge was mortising the foot rail for the bed rail connectors. I made a simple jig to guide the dado clean out bit that, fortunately, was a near perfect match to the dimensions of the connector.
IMG_0447.jpg

My first attempt at high altitude routing.
IMG_0448.jpg

Just right!
IMG_0449.jpg

The boxes that support the box spring/mattress are torsion boxes. They have a 3" wide grid of 1/2" plywood and a 1/2" skin.
IMG_0451.jpg

Those in turn are supported by 5 "I" beams with 3" webs and 2 1/2" flanges all of 3/4" plywood. Each one of these will support a 180# point load at its center with virtually no deflection.
IMG_0452.jpg

The final assembly, ready for finish.
IMG_0453.jpg

Beautiful work! I really like the I beam system and am gonna steal it for the bed I am supposed to have been making for the last ten years.
It is over engineered, overbuilt, and, probably, overkill... HOWEVER... Once the torsion boxes go in you could tap dance on this baby and you wouldn't even get a little 'creak' out of it. Incredibly strong and deflection free. 💃🕺 Oh, and really heavy too. :rofl:

E367F70B-CEAA-4F2A-B540-3DD5ECB43316.jpeg

Last edited:
...Oh, and really heavy too. :rofl:
That was my second thought*, too. That thing would still be in place after a tornado moves the rest of the house into the next county.

*My first thought was that looks beautiful and will look even better once the finish hits it. :clap: